Steering Question

Hey Guys-

I have a 2013 Ranger z117 with a 115hp merc pro xs. Over the last 3 days out, I’ve noticed my cable steering starting to seize and lock up. After a few seconds, I can start turning the motor again. My assumption is that my cables are going bad and starting to fray/ware.

Im taking it in on Saturday to have the shop look it over, but was wondering if it’s worth it to upgrade to hydraulic steering with this rig or just stick with the cables (assuming my on the water diagnoses is correct). I got a quote of $400-500 for cable and $700 for baystar hydraulic (just for parts, labor will be on top). Side note is that I’m not mechanically inclined, outside of your normal work (trailer wiring, pump replacement, etc), so doing it myself is probably out of the question.

Any guidance/advice would be great.

thanks.

Upgrade.. u will be glad!
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Hydrolic all the way!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    You're probably right about the cable being bad but 4-500 for a cable is down right insane. Most cables are around $120 and are easily replaced

you will deffinetly like the hydro steering. my last boat had cables, the nfb type. changed to baystar and it was crazy how much nicer it was. you wont be dissapointed.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    Hyd steering if your going to keep it.