Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to make you Motor Guide more quite

I posted this in the Clever Tips and Ideas Forum. I thought I would also post it here since this board gets more traffic.

I was reading a thread about trolling motors and someone replied they knew a trick to make a Motor Guide Tour 82 more quite. Mine is about 10-12 years old and works perfect but if you have the speed on 25% or more when you press the button to go it makes a clanking noise. It's not loud but it's loud enough that it bothered me. A member shared the tip with me and it works. I took a picture so it can be shared it with everyone else. What I done was apply black electrical tape on the area where the locking pins connect to the housing. For a lack of a better description it's where the "C" is located where the silver pin locks the motor in place. He did not mention it but I also put tape on the flat surface near the location where the motor locks in place. This took 100% of the noise away. Problem is over a period of years the pin wears out the "C" channel and does not fit 100% tight. The result is metal to metal with a little play and this makes noise. However metal to eletrical tape acts as a shim and metal to eletrical tape is silent I done this about 7-8 trips ago. It looks like I may have to replace it ever once in awhile but its only a 5 minute job and it's dead silent so it worth the effort.

2. Member
    tackle warehouse sells a foam piece to help like this does
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Here is where I looked. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Troll...page-TRNA.html Either I am overlooking it or I am not in the right section...can you provide a link?

4. Member

yep it was in my link but I overlooked it.

My 80 pound MK Maxxum has been doing the same thing. I'm gonna try the tape idea and see if it helps.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    If you could find some rubber insulation from electrical wire might work and last longer mine makes a clanking noise too when i step on the button, we"ll get something figured out.

Buy a MK

9. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Buy a MK
    After a while they do it too.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

10. Member
    I ended up putting a strip of the softer side of self adhesive Velcro in that spot. Works great on my Ultrex.

11. Member
    Thanks for the clue. I surmise the latch wears and this will press the latch parts together to quiet this noise. I'll pass this on, wish I'd done this to my MK74#.

12. Member
    Thanks!

13. Banned
    I cut a square out of a neoprene mouse pad and epoxied it to the flat area at the end of the mount where the arm rests. It provides upward pressure on the locking pins keeping them from moving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I cut a square out of a neoprene mouse pad and epoxied it to the flat area at the end of the mount where the arm rests. It provides upward pressure on the locking pins keeping them from moving around.
    This is all it takes. A 2"x2" square of rubber the right thickness glued to the floor of the mounting bracket at the end serves to quiet the latching pins and makes a landing bumper when dropping the motor into place.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    This is all it takes. A 2"x2" square of rubber the right thickness glued to the floor of the mounting bracket at the end serves to quiet the latching pins and makes a landing bumper when dropping the motor into place.
    Yup. This is mine.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmoto View Post
    I ended up putting a strip of the softer side of self adhesive Velcro in that spot. Works great on my Ultrex.
    This is what I did. Found the thickest stick on Velcro strip available (Hobby Lobby). Used the soft side (loop) and applied 3 strips.
    Much quieter. And a cheap, replaceable solution.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

17. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You can also buy (cheap) a 12"x12" "foam" pad or felt material with the sticky back from Hobby Lobby which would be the same at the small peice from Tackle Warehouse like linked above....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

18. Member
    What if you put heat shrink tubing on the pins themselves?

I put a piece of UMHV, I think that is correct, at the contact area instead of tape. It has a sticky back, thin and slick. I further cut some small pieces and put them on the mount where the pins slide. That is on both ends. If I can get someone to post pics I'll send them.
    I got nothin

20. Member
    I tried the heat shrink and it doesn't last....I bought hard rubber stoppers, cut a quarter inch piece, drilled a hole through the center, stuck it through the pin....then I drilled a small hole through the pin, near the end to put a Cotter pin through.....holds the rubber in place...the motor mount now rests on the rubber, no clanking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast