How to make you Motor Guide more quite

I was reading a thread about trolling motors and someone replied they knew a trick to make a Motor Guide Tour 82 more quite. Mine is about 10-12 years old and works perfect but if you have the speed on 25% or more when you press the button to go it makes a clanking noise. It's not loud but it's loud enough that it bothered me. A member shared the tip with me and it works. I took a picture so it can be shared it with everyone else. What I done was apply black electrical tape on the area where the locking pins connect to the housing. For a lack of a better description it's where the "C" is located where the silver pin locks the motor in place. He did not mention it but I also put tape on the flat surface near the location where the motor locks in place. This took 100% of the noise away. Problem is over a period of years the pin wears out the "C" channel and does not fit 100% tight. The result is metal to metal with a little play and this makes noise. However metal to eletrical tape acts as a shim and metal to eletrical tape is silent I done this about 7-8 trips ago. It looks like I may have to replace it ever once in awhile but its only a 5 minute job and it's dead silent so it worth the effort.

I wonder if you could put the tape on the pins itself instead of c shape part

good idea...This is something that will have to be replaced every once in awhile. Next time I may try wrapping the tape around the pin.

Ive been having that problem pretty much ever since i got mine 5years ago. Im gonna try to put tape on the pins this weekend and see if it works

I know it works the way I done it. Please reply if doing it directly on the pins works.

6. Member
    The best way solve this issue is to place a large piece of Velcro on the flat surface between the pin slots. Essentialy where you have already placed some tape on the picture. Only use the "soft" side of the Velcro only, NOT BOTH SIDES. This will take out most of the slop in the pin slots but will last much longer.
    And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
    Matthew 4:19

I have a 11 year old motorguide, from day one I just put grease on all the contact points. Most but not all comment on how quiet it is.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy Rod View Post
    I have a 11 year old motorguide, from day one I just put grease on all the contact points. Most but not all comment on how quiet it is.
    What type of grease?

just a marine type grease, that I use for the out board. not sure the brand.

10. Member
    Shrink wrap the pins and grease.

11. Member
    I wonder if liquid flex seal (the stuff you see on TV ad's would work on the pin's.

12. Member
    Maybe some heat shrink tubing on pins with a little reel grease

13. Member
    vasaline

14. Member
    I tried the Velcro approach, seems to be good fix on my 18 year old in April MG Thanks for the tip...BF

15. Member
    The breakaway kit keeps most of the rattle out of my old troller.

16. Member
    I would drop a used trick worm in my 82. It worked great. It would smash and stay there for several trips then replace as necessary.

Buy a Minn Kota!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike