Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Hubs leak, help! - 2000 520

Went to load up the boat and found this early this am...looks like the inner seal on the hubs sprang a leak. Would Napa or other auto parts stores carry the replacement seals I would need? If so, does anyone know the parts sizes I would need? Any advice is appreciated before I drain the hubs and take them apart. Trying to get this taken care of this week so I can enjoy a couple days on the water while I am off work this week. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I have the same year model trailer. I couldn't find seals at any auto parts store even with taking the old one in and trying to match it up. I ended up buying them from a Ranger dealer. I also changed to grease hubs at the same time by using a 2 3-16" bearing buddy instead of the oil cap.

3. Member
    O'Reilly has the parts to repair your hub. I just did it this past weekend

Checkout this link for lots of info.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=319092&page=4
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Make sure the seal is a double lip
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    Ranger Trail Trailers use triple lip seals, I have never been able to find at Auto parts store always ordered from Ranger.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kah3710 View Post
    Ranger Trail Trailers use triple lip seals, I have never been able to find at Auto parts store always ordered from Ranger.
    I ordered one from ranger today it was $3.46 !

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BFerris View Post
    Went to load up the boat and found this early this am...looks like the inner seal on the hubs sprang a leak. Would Napa or other auto parts stores carry the replacement seals I would need? If so, does anyone know the parts sizes I would need? Any advice is appreciated before I drain the hubs and take them apart. Trying to get this taken care of this week so I can enjoy a couple days on the water while I am off work this week. Thanks!

Make sure you read the section regarding wear sleeves in the Ranger stickies at the top of this forum under maintenance tips. Not sure about 2000 hubs but they may be Tie down Engineering hubs, and on the later models, (mine is a 2009), there is a wear sleeve on the spindle that the rear seal spins around. The lips of the rear seal actually wear grooves in this wear sleeve, which you should look for when you pull your hubs, and new seals will only be a short, temporary fix to your problem. If you have the grooves worn in the wear sleeve, you will need to also replace the wear sleeve or the spindle which you may be able to get from Ranger when you get the rear seals.
    " If you are going to be stupid, you have got to be tough!"

9. Member
    Thank you guys very much for all the info....can always count on getting good info here, I appreciate it. Going to tear into it this weekend...and see what I need to get ordered after I do a little studying your guys info.

10. Member
    bump for grease

Call ranger w/ vin number & all worries resolved. Just ordered rebuild components for my ‘02 Cool Hubs & they even carry the rubber o-ring that goes b/t sight-glass & hub housing.
    2022 Phoenix 920 Elite Mercury 4-Stroke 250 ProXS

Theyll give you parts numbers too if you want to shop at your local
    shops
    2022 Phoenix 920 Elite Mercury 4-Stroke 250 ProXS

13. Member
    Had pretty much the same thing happen to my cool hubs. Ranger customer service was very helpful and walked me thru the fix. Good Luck!

14. Member
    Don`t forget the wear sleeve.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Switch to grease Vortex hubs ASAP....

You'll thank me later...

I wouldn't mess with replacing one seal here, one seal there! Swap the entire hub assembly out with the new Vortex grease hubs and be done with it! Sooner rather than later the fresh seals you replaced will leak again. I had the oil hubs on my 2009 Z520 and had nothing but problems, switched all 4 hubs to Vortex/grease!

My .02

16. Member
    2000 spring axle can`t switch to Vortex hubs. Vortex hubs are Tie Down Eng. Use your existing hubs and pack with the hybrid grease. Change your hub caps to the grease ones. Done

17. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AHens View Post
    2000 spring axle can`t switch to Vortex hubs. Vortex hubs are Tie Down Eng. Use your existing hubs and pack with the hybrid grease. Change your hub caps to the grease ones. Done
    ^^ This ^^

Whatever you gotta do to get away from the oil...

18. Member
    Oil hubs maintained properly are far superior to any grease hub.

Quote Originally Posted by SmlRanger View Post
    Oil hubs maintained properly are far superior to any grease hub.
    In the grand scheme of things, I suspect that you are correct. I kept telling myself how great the COOL Hubs were as I serviced them along the road twice in the 10 years I owned my Ranger. However, for the average guy doing his own maintenance, greased hubs are about as bullet-proof a system as was ever devised. I'd never have oil bath hubs again on any trailer.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

20. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

I'd rather be on the water vs. in my garage knee deep in seals and hub oil!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    However, for the average guy doing his own maintenance, greased hubs are about as bullet-proof a system as was ever devised. I'd never have oil bath hubs again on any trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast