Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    @f12 ~The pod would be GIANT too ...

The Chirp may only be a software thing, since the recent non-mega XDCRs are being Chirped with decent results.
    I don't believe that a software change alone, would warrant a change. There would have to be better piezoes,in the 360 to get significant image improvement.(I guess they could use just the software to chirp and market it as 360HD)

Quote Originally Posted by fisher12 View Post
    I don't believe that a software change alone, would warrant a change. There would have to be better piezoes,in the 360 to get significant image improvement.(I guess they could use just the software to chirp and market it as 360HD)
    One more inconvenient issue of using higher frequencies is the less coverage they have. Even with SI, 800 kHz has less coverage than 455 kHz (spec 55 degrees for 800 and spec coverage of 55 degrees for 455 kHz. 1200 kHz is rated the same coverage as 800 kHz.
    MEGA 360 or 800 kHz 360 wouldn't be too good in shallow water.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Any image quality improvement in 360 would be significant. Plus by chirping and other means it may also be possible to speed up the refresh rate.
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10

60' of Mega 360 would be fine with me. That's casting distance. That's all I need.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeBack View Post
    Any image quality improvement in 360 would be significant. Plus by chirping and other means it may also be possible to speed up the refresh rate.
    The lowrance spotlight used the 800kHz

Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    60' of Mega 360 would be fine with me. That's casting distance. That's all I need.
    If it only covers 63% of that 60' in shallow water, would that be suitable?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

With the higher frequencies, there's going to be a significant null area on soft bottoms.At 60ft range (soft bottom).the first 25ft or so,you probably wouldnt see the bottom.

8. Member
    The lowrance spotlight used the 800kHz
    Yes, even 800 would be a significant improvement and I am sure achievable. If you look at the piezo itself it is not that large so don;t know if the pod would be too big. And what about putting several piezos in the pod to increase the refresh rate at a slower speed to increase the quality of the image. Lots of technology improvements maybe available to get us better 360.
    John

9. Member
    With the higher frequencies, there's going to be a significant null area on soft bottoms.At 60ft range (soft bottom).the first 25ft or so,you probably wouldnt see the bottom.
    Soft bottom is always a challenge sometimes even with 455. Need sensitivity cranked up and look for primary returns rather than shadows.
    John

10. Member
    While we're dreaming....LOL Why does it have to rotate?....LOL Get rid of the oil (failure mode) and rotation (failure mode). Just create a crystal with a 360 degree beam pattern in a transducer that mounts on existing TMs.....LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    While we're dreaming....LOL Why does it have to rotate?....LOL Get rid of the oil (failure mode) and rotation (failure mode). Just create a crystal with a 360 degree beam pattern in a transducer that mounts on existing TMs.....LOL
    Not so easy unless each crystal has a different frequency, which might just work. This is called a multi-beam sonar and already exist but not in 360 but more like 90 degrees or so. They work very well look at this. http://www.soundmetrics.com/Image-Gallery
    John

12. Banned
    that would only show water column for me. not very useful

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikeBack View Post
    Not so easy unless each crystal has a different frequency, which might just work. This is called a multi-beam sonar and already exist but not in 360 but more like 90 degrees or so. They work very well look at this. http://www.soundmetrics.com/Image-Gallery
    Thanks John. I've read of those type systems reportedly used by fisheries. Why would it have to be multiple crystals...I was thinking along the lines of a single crystal shape. Even though I threw that idea out, I realize it probably is a very expensive solution. I agree the technology is out there but probably not packaged for the normal bass boat or priced except for those with deep pockets...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

If a single crystal was used to create a 360 beam.... there would be no way to tell where an object was. There would have to be a lot of individual crystals for a non-rotating 360 to determine the position of an object.

The competition live systems are only able to determine the direction of an object because that is where the trolling is pointed.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

15. Banned
    those other systems actually show the depth of the object though

16. Member
    Actually multi-beam sonar only show distance to object but not depth
    John

17. Member
    I predict no change in the 360. Just no hype....no hints...nothing. That usually means it is a ways off......usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If it only covers 63% of that 60' in shallow water, would that be suitable?
    If they can figure out 60' of full mega coverage, I'm buying today.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

If they can figure out 60' of full mega coverage, I'm buying today.
    It's the nature of using higher frequencies=less coverage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Maybe they will improve the software some to help with the way objects are blurred or fuzzy looking.they might add 800kHz sometime,but a just can't see ever going up to the Mega range, with 360

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12