Thread: Sell me a sho

Sell me a sho

Getting ready to buy a new boat and the motor is the last decision to be made. I really liked the sho when I test drove one but I currently have a merc that has been about perfect for 200 hours. So, why should I go with a sho?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb357 View Post
    Getting ready to buy a new boat and the motor is the last decision to be made. I really liked the sho when I test drove one but I currently have a merc that has been about perfect for 200 hours. So, why should I go with a sho?
    It all depends on what you are comfortable with since you will be the owner. If you have great success with Mercury and have a great dealer, maybe this is the best route to take. Me personally, I have owned Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobiles, Yamaha 2 stroke snowmobiles, a Yamaha 4 stroke generator, and my last Ranger had a 2008 4 stroke Yamaha F225. I sold my 520 Ranger last year and the buyer loves the boat & motor. Still running strong and I know I put some hours on that motor.

I personally haven't had any problems with any of the Yamaha products I have owned. I too am in the process of purchasing a new boat, however, the engine manufacturer was the first item I chose, then moved on to decide which boat I wanted.

Good luck with your decision. It appears all the manufacturers are making quality products. I have been a huge fan of Yamaha 4 stroke outboards since I owned my 2008 F225.
    M
    Last edited by MMyles; 10-17-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Year correction

3. Member
    Just get one. You will kick yourself for not doing sooner. Especially once you realize how dang loud that merc is.

4. Member
    I've done all my own maintenance and only had my boat in once for something minor so I'm not 100% sure on my current dealers service. They actually service Yamaha as well so service or lack thereof isn't a selling point one way or the other.

My main concerns with staying with merc are compressors, clogged/stuck stats, and fuel injectors. Plus I really like a good holeshot and midrange but a fury 4 takes care of that.

Mercs are loud though...
    Last edited by Jb357; 10-18-2017 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Added info

5. Member
    The only thing I had done with my 2008 F225 was change the oil & filter and the lower unit. It was never at the dealer for service.
    M

6. Member
    I've done all my own maintenance and only had my boat in once for something minor so I'm not 100% sure on my current dealers service. They actually service Yamaha as well so service or lack thereof isn't a selling point one way or the other.

My main concerns with staying with merc are compressors, clogged/stuck stats, and fuel injectors. Plus I really like a good holeshot and midrange but a fury 4 takes care of that.

Mercs are loud though...
    You could have 5 great mercs and 1 bad one and that is the one everybody seems to remember! It is the same with Yamaha, so go with what you are comfortable with. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

7. Banned
    Just make sure your boat is ordered with the engine being supplied by the boat builder. That is the only way the prices will be close as engine manufacturers give fleet discounts to boat builders they don't offer to dealers.

Boat manufacturers also prerig controls and gauges that are engine specific. Beats a dealer having to do that part of the rigging they may not be so familiar with

8. Member
    I know the recommended octane is 89, have seen some that say run 87 unless you need the last bit of performance out of it. Is it ok to run 87 say 2 out of every 3 tanks or so? That would really swing my leaning towards the sho due to savings over the long term. Even with burning almost $400 in dfi this year with the extra cost for midgrade the operating cost is real close. I know I know, $70k boat and worried about saving a couple hundred dollars but hey, I can buy more tackle with that.

Also I saw that they're running the yes program again, that might just seal the deal anyway as upgrading to platinum is $2k+

9. Member
    I know the recommended octane is 89, have seen some that say run 87 unless you need the last bit of performance out of it. Is it ok to run 87 say 2 out of every 3 tanks or so? That would really swing my leaning towards the sho due to savings over the long term. Even with burning almost $400 in dfi this year with the extra cost for midgrade the operating cost is real close. I know I know, $70k boat and worried about saving a couple hundred dollars but hey, I can buy more tackle with that.

Also I saw that they're running the yes program again, that might just seal the deal anyway as upgrading to platinum is $2k+
    I don't understand why anyone would run 87 vs. 89. On 30 gallons its a $3 difference. I run premium in my sho and haven't had any issues at 380 hours so far.

10. Member
    I have owned my SHO now for 10 months and I am very happy with it. easy starting, very quiet and very fast! I had no real issues at break in and so far it's been a reliable motor. I could never go back to a 2 stroke after this.

Quote Originally Posted by WPC3 View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would run 87 vs. 89. On 30 gallons its a $3 difference. I run premium in my sho and haven't had any issues at 380 hours so far.
    Good point. I'm always a bit surprised by people sweating short money like this on a $60k boat. Besides, in my area, if I want pure gas it has to be 89 or higher.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    I agree. Run the freshest fuel you can get. A few numbers over what is recommended will not hurt a thing. It says MINIMUM recommended. If the recommended minimum is 87 and the fuel is not fresh it is no longer 87 and let the problems begin. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.