Fishing windy days in tin

How do you fish windy days from an aluminumin boat? I have. 2005 bass tracker v-18 tournament and just could not fish deep properly am I doing something wrong? (I am a new boater maybe I’m not fighting the wind or something correctly) do I need the spot lock trolling motor? Is it just a lost cause?

thanks for the help/suggestions this is me trying to figure this out for upcoming tournaments

I just try to keep boat pointed into the wind and find a settimg on my trolling motor to keep me there.
    Fishing in wind sucks in any boat in my opinion.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Yep, point it into the wind, find a reference point to keep you on your spot or throw out a marker buoy. A good set of tm batteries and the bigger the tm the better, and go to work. Takes some practice and patience but very doable, unless you have the coin and can get a tm with spot lock and such features. Also a full tank of fuel and full live wells do help some.

4. Member
    Ultrex or Xi5 make wind a non-issue. Really the best single thing I have ever added to a bassboat.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Ultrex or Xi5 make wind a non-issue. Really the best single thing I have ever added to a bassboat.
    This

6. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    Agree with the Ultrex (never tried an Xi5 so can't recommend it).

7. Member
    The Terrova or even the Powerdrive V2 with iPilot work well in the wind too. Spot Lock is the sh*tz in the wind (or current).
    Ranger RT188 (2015)
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 115, 4" Setback Plate
    Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 iPilot 70lb
    Garmin 73SV @ Helm, 93SV Chirp @ Bow

8. Member
    Boat positioning is a plus. I use a drift sock as well to help out when appropriate.

I have a TV18 like you and found that fishing into the wind is the best way to to handle the wind. You have to remember that when the wind gets bad even the guys in the glass boats have issues as well. I keep the nose pointed into the wind for the most part. However, depending on what your throwing and what the fish are hitting you can actually set up a drift. Get to the end of the drift, crank up the motor and go start again. I was fishing chatterbaits over a grass bed with winds upward of 20 miles an hour during a tournament. The bass couldn't lay off of it and I won that tournament with close to 20 pounds. I'd drift and go start it again. This grass was about 200 yards wide and about 300 yards long. My partner and I was out in the middle of the lake with big whitecaps. We were the only ones there, my partner took second and our closest competitor only weighed in 14lbs. So depending on the situation a drift pattern can and does work.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

10. Member
    I have owned several brands and all configurations of hulls
    in the tin boat line and the TV18 is the most wind
    resistant tin out there. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

11. Member
    Doesn't anyone use an anchor anymore? I find an anchor with 100 foot of rope and I can set myself up pretty well on windy days when the trolling motor isnt an option. Of course if you have a large target like a grass bed, drifting is probably a better option. drift socks are your friend for that. Remember the walleye guys do this kind of fishing everyday with tin, heck most dont go out if its not windy lol.

12. Banned
    I find reading your green on grey text more difficult than fishing in the wind
    Keep the big motor trimmed down, it will help prevent the ass end from drifting. Troll into the wind and current, and retrieve baits with the wind and current.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toporanger View Post
    Doesn't anyone use an anchor anymore? I find an anchor with 100 foot of rope and I can set myself up pretty well on windy days when the trolling motor isnt an option. Of course if you have a large target like a grass bed, drifting is probably a better option. drift socks are your friend for that. Remember the walleye guys do this kind of fishing everyday with tin, heck most dont go out if its not windy lol.
    I thought I was the only one left that still used an anchor vs an expensive power pole LOL. I have a mushroom anchor and rope in a rubbermaide container that fits nicely in the rear compartment of my boat. I prefer the sock to dragging the anchor but I'll sure use it.

14. Member
    I really like slow plastic/jig fishing from an anchored boat.
    I have so much more feel of the bottom when I'm not fooling
    w/the TM and I can fish an area more thoroughly. I just hate
    pulling an anchor. Power poles are the ticket if you consistently
    fish shallow water. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

15. Member
    Take your wife with you on real windy days..............have her hold onto a tree while you fish your honey hole. I've lost a couple of wives but I've also limited out a couple of times

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Agree with the Ultrex (never tried an Xi5 so can't recommend it).
    I have an Xi5 and love it. But I have fished in boats with an Ultrex and if I was buying today and willing to pay, I would get the Ultrex.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maxo View Post
    Take your wife with you on real windy days..............have her hold onto a tree while you fish your honey hole. I've lost a couple of wives but I've also limited out a couple of times
    Lol

18. Member
    Bought a terrova for mine and made a world of difference. Just sold the boat and will more than likely be going glass but I’ll have spot lock on it as well.

As stated before, the powerdribe will work. I just cannot stand that motor. Best advice I could give you is to not step lower than a terrova. With the power drive with Ipilot factory installed, you lose the foot pedal. I also absolutely despise the foot pedal as the power button is on used with your heel and you steer based by pushing left or right with the balls of your feet. I much prefer the foot pedal on the terrova.