Looking to get into bow hunting

As the title states I am looking to get into bow hunting, I want to get some meat for the freezer this winter... Nothing better than knowing where your meat comes from.

So my question to you guys is... What would be a good bow to start out with? Looking to stay under $500 for everything ready to hunt. Is this possible?
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

2. Member
    Look in to the Bear Cruzer. You can get a package with just about everything but arrow for under 400. Then you just need the arrows and a release. I think it's also adjustable from like 5-70lbs. If You're new at it, set it at 45lbs
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    Look in to the Bear Cruzer. You can get a package with just about everything but arrow for under 400. Then you just need the arrows and a release. I think it's also adjustable from like 5-70lbs. If You're new at it, set it at 45lbs
    Thank you for the reply. I will look into the cruzer. I am new to bow hunting but have shot a bow before. You still think I should start that low?

4. Member
    You can get some really nice used set-ups for under $500. Would advise watching the bow size if hunting from a blind--nothing like whacking the ceiling after release (assuming you can line it up with the window in the first place). Archerytalk is a good source for questions and info unless you have a good shop nearby. It's the BBC of bowhunting although the forum format is inferior

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I will look into the cruzer. I am new to bow hunting but have shot a bow before. You still think I should start that low?
    Assuming you're in average physical shape, I would. The extra power is nice but if you have to hold it longer than a minute for a shot, you'll be struggling if you have it at the higher end. It doesn't take much to adjust the poundage.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Craigslist is full of used bows this time of year. Plenty of good deals to find. It's a lot of fun and just as addictive as fishing. I love hunting, but I love shooting year round even more. The more you shoot, the better you get. Start basic and shoot short distances until your arrow groups get tight. Then try a little further. Practice in cool weather and not just on warm days. A bow is harder to draw and hold when it is cold. Also try shooting with the clothing you will be hunting in. You don't want a bulky coat sleeve to ruin a shot. If you plan to hunt from a blind, practice sitting in a chair or on a stool and shooting from that position. Same goes if you plan on hunting from a treestand.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

Start basic..I wouldn't start out now wanting to get into bow hunting to go kill deer... Especially if you've never shot a bow... This isn't typically something people just pick up and go with like a rifle... Take practice and a little dedication to it to figure out how to adjust for windage and elevation... Even if you've got a good range finder you still need to put yourself in shooting situations or your gonna cost yourself a wounded deer getting away... Happens to the best of us... The more you practice with whatever bow you buy new or used the better your gonna be when the shot presents itself...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

In all honestly..........You are to late to bow hunt this season. Gun hunt this year. Then go to an archery shop, not a big box store. Tell them your situation and see what they say. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING. Go home and research what they told you and the brand they recommended. If what they said was accurate, go back and buy from them. If not, move on to shop #2.......

Then you need an elevated stand. I suggest a Summit Climber, you tube is your friend.

As for brand of bow.........Ford / Chevy.....There are many good ones and some great deals used. They lose value quick. Mathews, Bear, PSE....all good.

Good Luck
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Look in the hunting equip for sale on here. Saw a good deal on several bows over the last several weeks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BADAZZTRITON View Post
    Look in the hunting equip for sale on here. Saw a good deal on several bows over the last several weeks
    Case in point: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=846189

Thanks for the advice all. I got my dad's old Bear Whitetail Hunter and have been shooting it a little bit in the past couple of days. It is set at 55lbs and is fairly easy to control. I am seriously considering the bow posted above that is for sale on here.

As for it being too late in the season to hunt, Kentucky's archery season lasts until January 15th. Do you still think it would be too late? Either way I am still going to be buying a bow and practicing.

I have land that I am able to hunt that already has stands set up. So a place for hunting is not a issue.

12. Member
    If new look at blackout intrigue. I paid 550 for my whole set with arrows, broadheads, and release

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    Thanks for the advice all. I got my dad's old Bear Whitetail Hunter and have been shooting it a little bit in the past couple of days. It is set at 55lbs and is fairly easy to control. I am seriously considering the bow posted above that is for sale on here.

As for it being too late in the season to hunt, Kentucky's archery season lasts until January 15th. Do you still think it would be too late? Either way I am still going to be buying a bow and practicing.

I have land that I am able to hunt that already has stands set up. So a place for hunting is not a issue.
    If you commit to continual practice and such, I don't think it's unreasonable to hunt later in your season, especially if you have some previous Expierence. Just learn your limits and practice more than once a week.

If you're just in it for the meat, see if crossbows are legal in your area. The cost is identical. I'm tempted to get one in the near future.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    If you commit to continual practice and such, I don't think it's unreasonable to hunt later in your season, especially if you have some previous Expierence. Just learn your limits and practice more than once a week.

If you're just in it for the meat, see if crossbows are legal in your area. The cost is identical. I'm tempted to get one in the near future.
    I am half in it for the meat, and half in it for the sport. I mean I want the meat, but personally I want a challenge and something to do outdoors in between fishing and duck hunting. I also enjoy learning new things that are challenging.

You put in the effort you could pull off some hunting this year. Just gotta be comfortable with whatever bow you buy..
    You could find something like this and it would get you on the right track to being successful.... Still need a good pro shop in your area...

https://huntsville.craigslist.org/sp...342991482.html
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand