Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

field drug tests do what now? time for new tech!

From article:
    Police saw white dust on the floorboards of Cashe's car and tested it with a field kit. The substance showed positive for cocaine. Cashe went to jail for 90 days – 90 days in which he knew that the white substance in his car was simply drywall dust.
    "Some tests ... use a single tube of a chemical called cobalt thiocyanate, which turns blue when it is exposed to cocaine. But cobalt thiocyanate also turns blue when it is exposed to more than 80 other compounds,

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/16/558147669/florida-man-awarded-37-500-after-cops-mistake-glazed-doughnut-crumbs-for-meth

Say what? I mean turning blue for 8 compounds other than cocaine would be bad enough ---but 80!

2. Banned
    Right or wrong they don't care. They just need numbers..... Both in arrest numbers and money from fines.

3. Member
    Just one of many issues with consenting to any open search.
    I'm a law abiding citizen, well over the standard. But I don't consent.
    Never in a hurry, I'll wait for a fully recorded explanation of probable cause.
    Barring that statement by the LE onsite, I'll wait for the warrant.

Not only that. Once you willingly submit to a search, any damage to your vehicle is your problem.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

5. Banned
    Always wondered why those dry wall guys were so goofy...

To quote the Who... there's got to be a better way... Dan

6. Member
    A quick Google search shows that Safariland is well steeped in Law enforcement contracts, have been for a long long time. The officers use the equipment they are provided and enforce the laws the people we elect. Sounds like a couple bad apples. As for the kits, follow the money.

What it's time for, is for people not to be cooking meth in the damn car. I'm all for freedom of choice. But come on, why would you want to do this to yourself and others?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Just one of many issues with consenting to any open search.
    I'm a law abiding citizen, well over the standard. But I don't consent.
    Never in a hurry, I'll wait for a fully recorded explanation of probable cause.
    Barring that statement by the LE onsite, I'll wait for the warrant.
    Consent or not...................if they want it bad enough they will find probable cause and throw your rights out the proverbial window. They are trained in ways to do it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    Consent or not...................if they want it bad enough they will find probable cause and throw your rights out the proverbial window. They are trained in ways to do it.
    In Florida, the search and seizure laws are very clear.
    A motor vehicle can be searched without a warrant IF probable cause exists.
    AND if presented to a judge prior to search would result in a warrant.
    Therein lies the damning statement - they MUST be able to prove these facts.
    And there's no way around offering that explanation to the owner.

It's well within a citizens' rights to record that explanation on video for use.
    It's actually in the officer's best interests, if they truly have grounds for a search.
    Citizens have a right, and obligation, to protect against unreasonable search and seizure.
    Again, our laws are very clear and there's no room for error.

As to LE being trained to subvert the rights of citizens.
    Never happened to anyone in my family. Just the opposite actually.
    I want bad guys arrested and prosecuted more than you can imagine.
    But there's a right way and a wrong way to go about doing it.
    We've laws for good reason and they absolutely apply to everyone.
    Last edited by TampaJim; 10-18-2017 at 07:53 AM.

It's all about the MONEY. Read this....http://www.businessinsider.com/how-d...s-cops-2014-10
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Citizens have a right, and obligation, to protect their person and property against unreasonable search and seizure.
    Our laws are very clear and there's no room for error.
    Why is that part of the Bill Of Rights so clear, but other parts are not?

All we need to do is bend, argue over, or ignore, the definition of "unreasonable", just like they do for the phrase "shall not be infringed upon".

11. Member
    Reason #206 why i will never consent to a vehicle search
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

12. Member
    All they need to do is say they "smelled Marijuana" or say the k9 ripped them off.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    Reason #206 why i will never consent to a vehicle search
    It seems there's 37,500 reasons why you should. If all it costs you is a few hours in jail.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    All they need to do is say they "smelled Marijuana" or say the k9 ripped them off.
    Unless that officer's nose is certified and that dog has withstood impeachment, the judge will award the victim.
    You need more than fabricated 'evidence' to withstand the impact of a wrongful search and/or detention.

15. Banned
    As far as the doughnut story goes, why does the victim have to fight/ wait to have his record cleared? Why isn't this done automatically? Will he incur financial costs to have it cleared? He is already having financial costs from lost revenue due to the false arrest! I'm thinking he settled for far too little based on the outcome of these questions.
    Last edited by 5-Dinks; 10-18-2017 at 01:48 PM.

If you ever want to read a great book about asset seizure abuse, read Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz. I've read it three times and it was a great story each time.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    As far as the doughnut story goes, why does the victim have to fight/ wait to have his record cleared? While isn't this done automatically? Will he incur financial costs to have it cleared? He is already having financial costs from lost revenue due to the false arrest! I'm thinking he settled for far too little bases on the outcome of these questions.
    That was my question also, why would the arrest still be on his record? As said earlier, if they want probable cause all they have to do is say the smell something and they're good. Although, what it sounds like in that county is some pretty screwed up stuff. I grew up in a town like that where the sheriff department played by their own rules and didn't really care what the law stated. They really ruined a great little town.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Why is that part of the Bill Of Rights so clear, but other parts are not?

All we need to do is bend, argue over, or ignore, the definition of "unreasonable", just like they do for the phrase "shall not be infringed upon".
    Just thought this was worth reposting.

19. Member
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Call me old school but I trust police officers . Ive never been treated unfairly by one .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast