Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Non Puncturing Cull Tags

From the BASS rules for the '18 Opens:

Among other rule changes for 2018 are:

> The use of non-puncturing cull clips will be mandatory in 2018.

> Anglers who do not remove fin clips (a manmade weight designed to help deep-caught fish stabilize in the livewell) prior to verification will be assessed a 4-ounce penalty per clip.

Read more: http://www.bassfan.com/docktalk_arti...#ixzz4vl42AJoc

Pretty good move, hope it spreads to other tournys....

2. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    There are a lot of great culling systems on the market that will meet that requirement. Clips that will stay on UNLESS you use them to lift or try and lift the fish with. Even the smallest of little clips will stay on if you don't try and lift.

3. Member
    I bought a really nice looking clip system for a reasonable price from Amazon. I usually clip the clips to the top of the livewell door and take one off as I need them. In my last tournament my co-angler weighed the first fish, put the #1 clip on it, closed the door which smashed half the little plastic floats that were left. Oh well, I'll order another set and find a different place to hang them. And yes, some of the remaining clips came off.

4. Banned
    Great call

5. Member
    I like it

6. Member
    Good rule

7. Member
    Good rule. Wish my club would make it mandatory too, some guys just push the pericing tag wherever they feel like and blow the bottom of the mouth wide open.

As far as the fin clips go, when they mean verified is that when they check for dead loss at weigh in or if you're just at the dock?
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I'm sure some guys forget to take the clips off before bagging their fish. I guess this is a way to better remind them.

Next it will be hooks that are non puncturing.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Great rule change
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

11. Member
    They also made it illegal to use a jet drive or tunnel hull boat.

Eliminating the puncturing clips may be a good rule, but eliminating the tunnel hull and jet drives in the Opens is bull crap. Those are pieces of equipment that have both advantages and disadvantages for those who choose to use them. If the idea is to create a more level playing field, then they should also regulate every single type of equipment onboard that could give some guys an “unfair” advantage.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    I have yet to find a clip on tag that will stay on thru a tournament day. I understand that it is not good to put another hole in the fish but if I fish in a boat with just one large live well I nee a way to identify which fish are mine.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I have yet to find a clip on tag that will stay on thru a tournament day. I understand that it is not good to put another hole in the fish but if I fish in a boat with just one large live well I nee a way to identify which fish are mine.

Didn't think of the non split live well, that would be a problem.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

If people would just learn to properly use traditional clips there wouldnt be a problem.

How do you use a balance beam with clip style tags? Now you will have guys hooking two fish under the gills to beam them, great...

Also, a lot of the lip clips I have seen rub the fishes lip raw, which then can lead to sores/infection, where a tiny hole in the correct place will heal quickly.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    If people would just learn to properly use traditional clips there wouldnt be a problem.

How do you use a balance beam with clip style tags? Now you will have guys hooking two fish under the gills to beam them, great...

Also, a lot of the lip clips I have seen rub the fishes lip raw, which then can lead to sores/infection, where a tiny hole in the correct place will heal quickly.
    I think this new rule was adopted before all of the possible problems with alternative methods were thought through.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by bassman183 View Post
    They also made it illegal to use a jet drive or tunnel hull boat.
    Seems dumb to me. I guess enough people whinned and got them to change the rule.

18. Member
    What seems funny to me is that they don't want to punch a small opening in the fish's mouth but they will let them hook flip them in the boat to bounce around on the floor, rods, console, etc.

Why not run a pin type thru the gills? I've done that every since I recognized the damage done, potentially, by poking a hole in the lip.
    I got nothin

This is a good thing. I have not seen any research or evidence that the puncture style, when done properly, does eventually heal up. Maybe it's out there and I just haven't seen it, but as of now I am not convinced of this. Also, I have even seen some pros not properly applying the traditional puncture style clips, and have caught several fish over the years with giant holes in the lower mouth likely caused from cull tags. I agree with the new rule.

There are several styles of non-puncture available and some that you can still use a beam with. I can see more tournament series going this way also, so I am sure there will be more non puncture style options available soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast