Thread: grease vs oil

grease vs oil

Thinking about switching to grease hubs on my 1998 Rangertrail dual axle trailer. Is it expensive or hard to do?

2. Member
    You can use your existing hubs, just need to purchase some "Bearing Buddies" to replace the oil bath caps. Be sure to clean then hand pack with grease, and put in new rear seals. Only cost would be bearing buddies, new seals, grease, and your time.

3. Member
    Don't even buy the bearing buddy's , if you pack the bearings properly and put in new seals you will be good to go .
    I never understood people always wanting to grease boat trailor bearings all the time . If you keep the water out the bearings will last just like the bearings on your car, they will go thousands of miles without trouble . Bearing life has little to do with constantly lubricating them it has to do with keeping the water out so they don't rust .
    2002 520dvx Ranger
    2014 225 mercury pro xs
    Garmin livescope-126sv ,
    Humminbird 859,
    Garmin 126sv ,
    helix 10 SI
    dual - pro powerpole
    112 ultrex

4. Member
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger-Jim View Post
    Don't even buy the bearing buddy's , if you pack the bearings properly and put in new seals you will be good to go .
    I never understood people always wanting to grease boat trailor bearings all the time . If you keep the water out the bearings will last just like the bearings on your car, they will go thousands of miles without trouble . Bearing life has little to do with constantly lubricating them it has to do with keeping the water out so they don't rust .
    when you apply grease through the fittings its to remove the trash and old dirty grease