Thread: Swimbaits in MN

Swimbaits in MN

This is a question for everyone but would really love to hear from thos in MN or other states that have pike and musky do any of you throw swimbaits like the 6" hudd or anything like that or do you just stick with keitech style swimbaits

Pike magnets. I'm sure they'd catch big bass, I just can't afford the bites in between. Maybe you could get by with a wire leader with a bigger swimbait?

To be fair, the Keitechs can be pike magnets at times as well. They're just a little easier to stomach losing than the big expensive ones.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Pike magnets. I'm sure they'd catch big bass, I just can't afford the bites in between. Maybe you could get by with a wire leader with a bigger swimbait?

To be fair, the Keitechs can be pike magnets at times as well. They're just a little easier to stomach losing than the big expensive ones.
    I know they are going to be pike magnets and that is why im having a hard tine deciding if i want to get into them next season but bladed jigs are also pike magnets i have caight more stupid pike on a bladed jig then bass.

i fish 3-5" swimbaits and big swimbaits for pike cousin, i wouldnt fish hudds up here
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

I fish one hard swim bait and the Gambler Big EZ for bass in Ontario. I rig them with a steel leader and the bass don't seem to mind one bit.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I have caught many bass throwing big swimbaits for pike and muskie. Some days you cant keep the stupid bass off lol. I have had days where I have caught nothing but 4 lb + bass throwing double 8 inline spinners, they definitely didn't care about a leader that day. I haven't thrown a hudds but I have thrown several knock offs and even a matt's gill. I usually throw them on my yearly leech lake trip in the 12-16 foot weed edges. 120+ flouro leader and pike etc are not a concern. I have also not noticed a difference with the bass bite when using tie-able wire with vibrating jigs etc.

7. Member
    You just have to accept that you will lose baits. I lost a Deps 175 to a Muskie at the boat and have lost a couple of Huds to what I assume were musky or pike. It hurts but where we live you have to pay to play. I'll be throwing a RM Trick in perch pattern this weekend up in Door County. I could get my personal best or I could lose it.

8. Member
    I have thrown 6" and 8" hudds the past 3 years now and have only gotten one pike bite. I primarily fish the west metro. I also throw 6" - 10" glide baits and catch pike and bass. My pb came from a MS slammer last summer

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kondan View Post
    I have thrown 6" and 8" hudds the past 3 years now and have only gotten one pike bite. I primarily fish the west metro. I also throw 6" - 10" glide baits and catch pike and bass. My pb came from a MS slammer last summer
    Have you gotten any bass with the hudds

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmcarriere View Post
    Have you gotten any bass with the hudds
    Yes! Got a 4lb lmb on the 8" perch hudd and got a 2.5lb lmb on the 68 hudd green shad. Have had numerous bumps and fish coming off my 68 weedless. I'm hoping to get out this weekend to throw the hudds.

11. Member
    I've had only one of my hudd tear on me due to pike, a little mend-it glue and she was back out in the water ;)