Mercury 150 vs Mercury 150 XR6

Just curious about what the differences between the two motors would be. The Mercury 150 is a 1998 and on a TR-18. The Mercury 150 xr6 is a 2005 on a Procraft 185. Motors look very similar. Just wondering rpms, power, speed, etc...Thanks for any info.

2. Member
    XR6 is carburated. I believe the only 2 options in1998 were XR6 and EFI (fuel injected), so what you're calling a "Mercury 150" is most likely one or the other. Not sure what year the Optimax first came out, but it was right around that time. Best way to tell is to get the serial numbers and look them up.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial numbers for both engines would allow for some accurate comparison.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The 1998 Mercury 150 just doesn't have the xr6 on the motor cover but it is definitely carburetor. I'll get both serial numbers and try to research. Just figured the 98 was an older model of the 2005 150 xr6 but wasn't sure. Thanks for the help.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are some significant differences.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor