Tackle storage systems/methods

Just curious how y'all keep things stored and organized? I have absolutely way too much junk, and have a hard time keeping up with what I do and don't have, then every time I turn around I find rusty jigs or hooks, moisture in soft plastics. I'm really contemplating down sizing the heck out what I carry on the boat per trip by using 1 or 2 tackle boxs and take only what I think I may need each trip/tournament. Some things are a given, such as various Plastics, terminal tackle,spinner bait box etc. how do y'all handle it?

Last time I weighed my "stuff" it went 80lbs, so I'm not much help .
    I got nothin

Hooks and sinkers go into a small plastic Plano box and put one of those moisture absorbing packets from your pill bottles in each compartment. Crankbaits go in a similar Plano style box with moisture packets in there, too. Plastics stay in their original bags and bags are sorted and put into one gallon ziplocks. Jigs go in a quart size ziplock, as do spinnerbaits.

Carrying too much tackle does nothing but add confusion. Cull down to the baits in which you have complete confidence and spend more time understanding seasonal patterns and finding fish that will bite your high confidence presentations. Walk into any high end tackle shop and you will see row after row of baits. Each of those baits are the "secret" lure to someone. You can't afford them all and even if you could, you can't carry them all in the boat. And, even if you could carry them all, you'd never know which of those 10,000 is the "secret" lure for today. Forget that crap, save your money and spend time where it really counts, finding active fish for the season of the year.

It's to the point that I can get all of my tackle for tournament day in one of those small tackle bags that B.A.S.S. gives away with a membership renewal. That tackle bag and 4 rods are all I need. Of course, which rods and what tackle goes in the bag varies by the season of the year and the body of water I'm fishing. But, over all, I've culled my total confidence tackle down to the point that it will fit inside two big shoe boxes.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Everything in plano boxes.

5. Member
    Yep, cull down to just your confidence baits and colors. I have one Plano box for terminal tackle, one for shallow cranks (all we need down here), a soft-sided spinnerbait pouch, and my soft plastics in original bags organized by type in gallon Ziplock freezer bags. All of this fits in a medium-sized tackle bag (mine is by Spiderwire). I even have room for a rainsuit and pliers and stuff go in the outside pockets. This system works great for me since I often switch between by bass boat or my tin rig or if I fish with a buddy.

6. Member
    That's kinda where I'm leaning. I really use the same handful of Baits. My issue at times is from lake to lake around me is so different. One month I may be at a all spotted bass lake, next month a all large mouth lake, next could be a mixed lake.
    Heck the savannah river chain for example, hartwell, a good mix of species, deep clear water on lower end, to slight stained or clear upper end, water levels fluctuates from full pool to as much as 15' low at certain times. Next lake down separated by a dam, is now predominantly spotted bass, has total different structure, completely different water color and a lot of visible timber, then the next dam down, Clark hill is predominantly largemouth, but structure and cover is a mix of their first 2 lakes. Also, we have oconee, Sinclair, all largemouth. Shallower lake, no blue backs, and largemouth there act normal. Water color generally dingy for the most part. It's just hard to keep up with the changes and keep it all organized

7. Member
    I installed potato chip clips on the underside of my center storage lid. I use it for hanging soft plastics. I have 2 rows and can probably hang around 30 - 40 packages total. Its been the best addition I have made in terms of storage. You pull up the lid and you are literally staring face to face with a wall of baits. I use it as storage for my every day plastics I have confidence in. In another compartment I have extras for my favorites and misc plastics I am not as familiar with.

There is a company that sells a kit for this I just dont know the name. I got mine on ebay as actual potato chip clips

I also second the plano boxes. My suggestion though is to go with the thinner boxes for crank baits. I do this as I prefer an individual location for each bait. Maybe ill put 2 in one space but no more. Too many times I see people spend minutes at a time trying to separate a wad of crank baits. It also allows you to easily see what you have and make quick decisions. Not sorting through a wad trying to separating things to even figure out what you have. Trade off of course is you will need additional boxes but that goes back to using the thinner style to take up less space.

They also have systems for hanging crank baits but I am unfamiliar. I also question the ability to not have a hanging mess of crankbaits all wadded togethr after a blast down the lake

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Everything in plano boxes.
    +1