Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenHo View Post
    This is not about spelling or grammar. What Dan is referring to is definition. All of the words Dan lists are words we should all have known the meaning of by sixth grade. You may not care but, the words you use and how you use them do reflect on your level of knowledge. Typos just show a lack of care, in not caring enough to do simple proof reading. Actual mis spelling, IMO, could be looked over if not for the wide spread availability of spell checkers. An occasional typo or mis spelling is going to slip through. Wrong definitions, not so much.
    Kiss, I don't really think Dan was picking on you. You had one error that could have been a typo or could have been not knowing the correct word. Not that big of a deal. To me and perhaps Dan, it is amazing how many threads contain multiple spelling errors, and incorrect usage in a single post.
    I actually don't care one way or the other how people perceive others for their apparent lack of basic education. For myself, I do like to put my best foot forward. Just another view point and as Dan said, "Words have meaning".
    Its just the fact that some can not let the little things go, they have to nit pick. They overlook what is trying to be conveyed and focus on the error the person made, turning it into a joke. I think this is what is irritating me so bad about this. They would be the ones, that if i were to state the fact that my wife is dying of cancer, but typed "dyeing" by accident because i am a little distracted, that is all they would focus on. To hell with what he is trying to say, he doesn't know the difference between "dying and dyeing", or "whole and hole", and that shows his level of intelligence/knowledge.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    It's weird, every time I leave a job, I "just KNOW" the place is going to fall apart without me. Oddly enough, every single one of them are all still in business and doing just fine. Very strange indeed, I just don't get it.
    Funny how that works
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

3. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Words have meaning... There, their, they're... know, no... whole, hole... do, due... but, butt... to, too, two... mail, male... plane, plain... bass, base... dear, deer... right, write... here, hear... If you can't communicate in English, oh forget it... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite
    It means have someone else proof read your resume before sending it to perspective employers... Dan
    That would be "prospective". I love irony.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Others who know what I am talking about, but I had to deal with a lot of people when I was on active duty. Most thought they knew it all and their chit don't stink. Kissfan, just hang and keep doing your best, and hopefully you will get the other position. If your supervisors know you are doing it right, I wouldn't sweat the little things.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kissfan4 View Post
    Its just the fact that some can not let the little things go, they have to nit pick. They overlook what is trying to be conveyed and focus on the error the person made, turning it into a joke. I think this is what is irritating me so bad about this. They would be the ones, that if i were to state the fact that my wife is dying of cancer, but typed "dyeing" by accident because i am a little distracted, that is all they would focus on. To hell with what he is trying to say, he doesn't know the difference between "dying and dyeing", or "whole and hole", and that shows his level of intelligence/knowledge.
    Now don't take this the wrong way... It's distracting, if we have to interpret every sentence what do you expect???... Take a little time and read what you've typed, does it make sense, are you rambling??? You asked for advise from complete strangers... Take it for what it's worth...

And I've never seen someone on this site correct the grammar/ syntax or content of a "need prayers" post... Dan

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite

That would be "prospective". I love irony.
    Yep, it bites you in the a$$ every once in a while... At least I spelled it correctly... Dan

Yep, it bites you in the a$$ every once in a while... At least I spelled it correctly... Dan
    Sorry, no points for correctly spelling a word that was used incorrectly. After all, words have meaning...

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

i LOVE YOU ASSWHOLES!!!

If I fished to live.....I'd starve to death!

Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    Sorry, no points for correctly spelling a word that was used incorrectly. After all, words have meaning...
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

11. Member
    So i have been having issues with a co-worker, mainly he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, we share supervisor roles with him being slightly higher than me, but my main focus is our machines. Here recently he has been over stepping his bounds and into my area of expertise and all he seems to do is "F" everything up. I have complained to my boss about him, and managers up stream in our workflow have complained about him and nothing has been done about it. I have been in the same area for going on 12 years, and i know my stuff better than anyone in this place. Well numbnuts this morning moves people around in a way that maked no logical sense, causing yet again, time sensitive material to not make it out on time. So i finally spoke to a manager in another department about letting me know if they have a position open up to let me know. He understands why, and said i don't blame you, "that department will fall apart if you leave" which is absolutely true. I emailed my boss and let him know that i have expressed interest in moving on, maybe he will finally see how serious this issue is. I feel bad about thinking this, but a person can only take so much. I also applied for financial aid once more to hopefully get back in school, finish my last 2 classes, and graduate. Although it is only an Associates Degree, which i believe holds about as much value as a HS diploma, but maybe i will be able to find a really good paying job with it. Rant Over!!!
    Trust me, a degree doesn't make you immune to bull crap at work. It may help you compete for a position with higher earnings? Will that offset the student loans? Are you willing to start over being the FNG somewhere, possibly move somewhere for the opportunity?

I personally don't like the question "why did you leave your last position" in an interview. My opinion rarely counts. So, how would you answer that with a positive spin? The fact you don't get along with your co-workers won't fly. Chances are you'll have people you don't get along with no matter where you go.

I hope you find a way to get through this. Morale is important to a productive workforce and work home life balance.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassranger1 View Post
    i LOVE YOU ASSWHOLES!!!
    now that's good !!

13. Banned
    i LOVE YOU ASSWHOLES!!!
    Hey, I reassemble that remark... ... We are all uniquely irritating in our own special ways... Dan

14. Banned
    i LOVE YOU ASSWHOLES!!!
    Referencing the whole ass, as opposed to a partial one?

15. Member
    It could also mean he has OCD, or is on the autism spectrum. If you know anybody that has Aspergers Syndrome, it's not their lack of intelligence or knowledge that makes them point out the minutiae. They are compelled to focus on specific things of interest to them. Maybe Dan has Aspergers, and now you're *picking on him* like he's stupid. Did you ever think of that?? (just busting balls!)
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warcry View Post
    Referencing the whole ass, as opposed to a partial one?

Sounds like he's referencing the whole group of us
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    It could also mean he has OCD, or is on the autism spectrum. If you know anybody that has Aspergers Syndrome, it's not their lack of intelligence or knowledge that makes them point out the minutiae. They are compelled to focus on specific things of interest to them. Maybe Dan has Aspergers, and now you're *picking on him* like he's stupid. Did you ever think of that?? (just busting balls!)
    Or you could look at it this way...

I don't like to repeat mistakes (yet I do it all the time). If I make a grammar, spelling or punctuation error and someone corrects me, I look at that as someone trying to help me. At least I know that's why I do it and not to be a better than you kind of person. If someone correcting your spelling sets you off that much then maybe you need to grab a safety pin and trek on over to your safe space.
    I'd agree with you , but then we would both be wrong

I was in a similar situation a few years back with a supervisor one step above me. He overstepped and made some changes to personnel assignments in the region I was over. I knew my personnel’s strengths and weaknesses, and the changes were of no value to getting the job done. I delayed the changes being implemented until I was in DC where he was located. I met with him face to face and asked him straight up if he trusted my judgement when it came to running my region effectively. He responded in the affirmative. But, stated he wanted the changes made regardless. I requested a meeting with him and the CIO to discuss the changes and how it would impact my region. I was respectful, but stood my ground and told the CIO the changes would hurt job efficiency, and that I would cross-train my people just as effectively while they continued in their current assignments. The CIO agreed, and told me to run my region as I saw fit. Meet with him and the person who is over you both.
    Ask the same questions and see what his strategy is, or if he has one. Stick to your guns and carry it up the chain if you feel that strongly about it.

And don’t sell yourself short getting a start with an Associates Degree. That’s what started with when I got my first supervisory position. I continued my education as I moved up. And management above you should typically look at furthering your education as a positive. A full college degree, while admirable, doesn’t make one a good supervisor, and anything less doesn’t make one a bad supervisor. Education is only a small part of the formula for what makes a good supervisor. People have to like, or at the very least, respect their boss if they ever expect to get something done.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

You asked for advise from complete strangers... Take it for what it's worth...
    The correct term is advice
    Advice is a noun
    Advise is a verb
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/g...vice-or-advise
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

20. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    FWIW, my post (#11) was razzing the quoted razzer.
    Who controls John Gill?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast