help please,i have a slow 206 elit

I have a 206 elite with a 275 verado,running a25p tempest plus. the prop shaft is 2.75" below the bottom of the boat. I'm only getting 59mph w.o.t at 6150rpm. any suggestions about prop. brav0 1,fury 4, high 5

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Your Prop to pad seems a tad high. Using the instructions about how to measure (pinned up top) have you tried lowering it to 3.5 and adjusting a bit at a time? What is your jack plate set back? How is boat loaded? There are lots of variables involved.... in addition to the actual prop.

My first guess would be what Lea said. Then I would guess that a 25p prop is not enough pitch for your setup. I run a 25 on my 187 with a 175 EFI.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

4. Member
    I am running a 2004 - 206 elite with a 250 Pro XS fully loaded (and I mean fully,gear and me I am over 300 pounds) with that I amd hole shot. t 64 mph the dealer that installed the motor and test drove it with two people in it but nothing else said they were getting low 70's I never have run the boat empty like that. I run a Bravo 1 (old model) that only has the 4 holes all wide open. I have had great luck with that both top end and hole shot

5. Member
    I have found my 05 206 with an ETEC 225HO to be a very weight sensitive and lift sensitive. When I first bought the boat in 2012, I hit 72 on the GPS with a very light load and by myself. I have since loaded her up and added a 36v trolling motor. I typically have 40gal or more of fuel in the boat and 3.5gal of oil. I struggled for a couple years to get it to run right. 64ish was a good as I could do loaded with two people and ready to fish. I finally figured it out this year. I could not get the boat to run correctly with the factory Raker II 26p prop. I went down to a Raker II 25p and it improved some, but still not good. My dealer convinced me to switch to a Tempest 25p and I have been very happy with its overall performance, but was still not running the close to the way it did when I first got the boat. Mid season this year, I started going through the boat and realized how much extra crap I had in the boat. I removed a lot of stuff, and also moved a lot of stuff to the rear of the boat instead of the rod lockers. The first trip out after the clean out, I hit 69 at about 5800rpms. The removal of the weight allowed the bow to rise and increased the overall speed.
    I agree with the others that you need to step up on prop. go up a pitch and see what happens. I have never run a Verado, but those RPMs seem high to me. you should gain top end with the higher pitch while reducing the overall RPMs. My boat seems to get completely on pad somewhere around 62mph. when I was having performance issues, once I got above that speed, it seemed like the boat jumped up in speed a little quicker. I could actually feel the boat start accelerating again above that speed. I don't believe you are all the way on pad at 59, but I could be wrong.
    One other thing I will mention is to have the prop itself looked at. My original Raker II had issues when I got it. I have a friend with the exact same boat/prop, and had the exact same issue. It ran very inconsistent and was seeing about an 8mph swing by adding another person to the boat. I finally took the prop to a reputable prop shop. He took me back in the shop and put the prop on bench and started look at it. The first thing he did was gauged each blade. The first one was a 29p, the second was 28p, and the third was 26p. They all were suppose to be 26p. My buddies boat was the exact same. Each blade was a different pitch. Given the RPMs you are running, I doubt very much that is your issue, but just another thing to consider. a good prop shop can likely add some pitch and cup to your prop to help out as well.

6. Member
    Same boat and motor FishnFrank. Good to know 64 is about right for a loaded down 206 with a 225 H.O. I always wondered how people with 198s and 206s were hitting close to 70.

I dumped my 25 Tempest Plus as I wasn't happy with hole shot and handling. I'm running a 24 Fury 4 and hole shot is improved and it now handles like a Champion should. The stern of the boat probably is up another 2 inches or more at speed and it attacks chop much better. I feel mine come up on pad around 45 it really likes cruise there and whip it around...the tempest was always a fight.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

7. Member
    I have no experience with the v rod, but the 206 is weight sensitive and a turd if not set up right. You should get 70-72 on a good day. Engine is too high, I would start around 4 inches. A45 is the fastest tempest made and a great prop if it is n good shape. Make sure front deck is lightly loaded and lower the engine. Trim it out and hammer down. Worst cae you have a some water in the foam. How long have you owned it? Did I mention the 206 is a turd? Haha

Same boat and motor. 66.5mph with a 25p Bravo 1 Fs . I was having the same issues as you. Took my boat in to Basspro and another shop because my Vrod seemed to not trim out all the way. Took it to a guy who changed the calibration on my trim and now get good lift without plowing,, my boat was loaded to the gills this past weekend for the U.S Open on Lake Mead. 66.5. Going to add a Hydraulic Jp and im sure it will help. Let me know if you have any questions. Chris
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

9. Member
    thanks, my dealer has trying to talk me into the bravo. what rpm are you running? also have you looked into some of the newer props (fury 4)

10. Member
    Hey chris this is sort of ironic my hull is the same color combo,although my consoles are black W/silver fleck.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToledoBendChamp View Post
    I have no experience with the v rod, but the 206 is weight sensitive and a turd if not set up right. You should get 70-72 on a good day. Engine is too high, I would start around 4 inches. A45 is the fastest tempest made and a great prop if it is n good shape. Make sure front deck is lightly loaded and lower the engine. Trim it out and hammer down. Worst cae you have a some water in the foam. How long have you owned it? Did I mention the 206 is a turd? Haha
    my buddy put the A45 tempest 25 on his 2005 champion 206 with the opti 225 and it doesn’t have enough lift for his boat. I just tried that prop on my 203, and lost 4mph with that prop... my 203 actually ran the same speeds with his spare high 5 prop and his tempest 25... I couldn’t get his tempest 25 to lift my bow properly compared to my tempest 26... I have owned 3 other tempest 25+ ranging from stock to croxton b&b and that a45 is the slowest so far... and it’s been b&b.

Quote Originally Posted by tim clark View Post
    thanks, my dealer has trying to talk me into the bravo. what rpm are you running? also have you looked into some of the newer props (fury 4)
    Mines the newer Bravo Fs made for 4 strokes. I run 6250 rpms at Wot. Good bow lift on it. Love my 206 vrod combo
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Tim, you have two threads going on the same subject almost side by side....I do not know how to combine them. Will ask Al...but it would be easiest right now to stick to only one????????? Do you have a preference as to which one?

14. Pat Goff
    Cold hard facts:
    Your slip numbers suck. You need to get them right first.
    Tempest is a fast wheel but not all tempests come out of the box ready to run. In fact all factory props are less than consistent. If yours isn’t running to the average you’ll be money and time ahead getting a tempest worked than buying another unknown prop in a box. Maybe it works maybe not. Put a skilled hand on what you’ve got will run better than anything out of the box.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>