Repowering with a G2

I have a 2002 Skeeter ZX250 and about a month ago the 250 Yamaha on it gave up the ghost. I've been pricing out the cost to rebuild, and it looks like I've got a $3500-$4000 bill coming for that. As I was looking for used motors, some of the prostaff G2's started showing up and they have me intrigued. As I've been reading about them, I find that now I kind of want one...lol

So my questions are:

1. What type of cost would I be looking at going to the new controls?
    2. Are their any years of this motor that have known issues that I should stay away from? For instance, there is one for sale in the motors section, and a few floating around at different marinas, with what seem like reasonable prices.
    3. Would I need to re-prop, or should a tempest with a new hub work?
    4. Are there any things I need to take into consideration that I may be overlooking?
    5. I see some people talking about 10 year warranties. When I look online, I'm only seeing 5-6 year. How do you get a 10 year warranty, and what is the cost?
    6. And finally, what is a ball park price for a new 250 hp G2?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Member
    1. There are a lot of different options for controls and gauges so cost will vary widely also depends on if the dealer give you a discount or not. MSRP of the standard rigging kit which includes everything but battery cables, prop, key switch, and gauge(s) is $955, plus $82 for Battery cables, $550-$700 Prop, $125 key switch kit, $210-$1405 for gauges.
    2. The G2 have been around for almost 4 years now, they have remained relatively unchanged. The early ones have had some updates issued for them so as long as the early ones received the updates which can be confirms by any Evinrude dealer there shouldn't be much to worry about.
    3. Ive heard of people having success using Tempest props with G2, this should be able to be done. One guy i know runs a 27 tempest on a 520 ranger gets 77mph from it, no power poles.
    4. The only thing to note is that some of the AB power steering engines were not compatible with seastar pro helms because they used a slightly different power steering system. By AB i mean the last 3 digits of the model number will read AB_. Also these engines work best with a 4" jackplate, might get away with a 6", it is highly unlikely a 10" jackplate will handle properly.
    5. Pro Staff engines are sold as used motors and have limitations on what warranty options are available. You will only be eligible for what is left of the warranty that was originally issued to the motor. Any BRP dealer will be able to provide that date for you by checking the serial number. Ive seen people promised much more by the seller and very upset when they find out its not all the promised, get the serial number and do an independent check when buying a used/pro staff motor.
    6. No idea, i just work on them dont sell them. MSRP $23025-$23575
    Last edited by Evinrude57; 10-16-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Your Tempest prop will work just buy a new hub.

I bought my 225 G2 from Jet-A-Marina and had it shipped to my dealer out here in CA. I'm guessing they will beat MSRP by $4-5K. No sales tax which was great. The salesman quoted around $4K for the rigging kit which I thought was high but he didn't actually look up the price so he may have been wrong. I don't know exactly what was included in the kit. I re-powered for about $21K rigged with a foot throttle and a 3.5" icon gauge. I love the motor but my local dealer is not good with Evinrude's so when they say to buy whatever brand motor you can get the best support from locally then I might go that route if I were you.

Panels cost extra. Jet-A split the cost with me which was $300 because he forgot to include them in the quote so expect to pay $600 for em.

The 10 year warranty ended about 6 months ago. I hear they may do it again shortly so keep an eye out for it. If they don't offer it one guy told me he was able to buy an extra 3 year warranty for a pro staff motor he bought which gave him 8 years of coverage.

4. Member
    As of July of last year black or white panels are included with the price of the motor, there are some dealers still charging for them though.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I may wait it out a bit and see if the 10 year warranty deal comes back. That would be hard to pass up.

6. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Chris, you would love it..I think most of the pros ran 250 HO's which is even stronger than the 250.....People I know rave about 'em....I'm gonna get me a ride in one yet.....

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmang View Post
    Thanks guys. I may wait it out a bit and see if the 10 year warranty deal comes back. That would be hard to pass up.
    yeah, they may have done that just to get their sales #'s up and it may not come back or come back with stipulations, guys that did get it last time aroud did get a helluva deal...

8. Member
    Any incentive from any company to buy their product has the aim of increasing sales. This incentive can be in the form of cheaper pricing, longer warranty, free rigging kits etc. I agree 10 year warranty on G2 would be just the icing on the cake and we only get 5 years down here.

$23K ?? dang can get a new truck for that 2017 Chevrolet Colorado
    Starting MSRPs1 $20,000*

Fuel Economy 19 City / 26 Hwy

Rebates2 $1,250

Finance2 3.9%

10. Member
    It is amazing what you guys pay for your cars and trucks up there. Down here a truck like that would be close to $50K in our money. Also do not forget RRP for an outboard or anything is different to street prices. I would love to sell everything from engines to electronics at what the manufacturers say are RRP.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    Starting MSRPs1 $20,000*

Rebates2 $1,250

Finance2 3.9%
    Ain't gonna get that Chebby in the picture for $20K! I had to get a new to me truck in August and got a used F-150 4x4 super crew with an eco boost motor and it was a 2013 model and thought I got a deal at $28K.

12. Member
    You can get a 2018 for 20,995 but it isn't that one pictured. You get a very very basic truck with std cab, steel wheels and a 2.4l 4cylinder 2wheel drive.

Starting MSRPs1 $20,000*

Rebates2 $1,250

Finance2 3.9%
    1994 Ranger 392
    1994 200 Johnson Venom Oops not any more
    2017 200ho G2
    The old girl has some serious kick now

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmang View Post
    I have a 2002 Skeeter ZX250 and about a month ago the 250 Yamaha on it gave up the ghost. I've been pricing out the cost to rebuild, and it looks like I've got a $3500-$4000 bill coming for that. As I was looking for used motors, some of the prostaff G2's started showing up and they have me intrigued. As I've been reading about them, I find that now I kind of want one...lol

So my questions are:

1. What type of cost would I be looking at going to the new controls?
    2. Are their any years of this motor that have known issues that I should stay away from? For instance, there is one for sale in the motors section, and a few floating around at different marinas, with what seem like reasonable prices.
    3. Would I need to re-prop, or should a tempest with a new hub work?
    4. Are there any things I need to take into consideration that I may be overlooking?
    5. I see some people talking about 10 year warranties. When I look online, I'm only seeing 5-6 year. How do you get a 10 year warranty, and what is the cost?
    6. And finally, what is a ball park price for a new 250 hp G2?

Thanks
    Chris
    I just got (9/26/17) my 2018 Ranger RT198p w/ the 150 HO G2 and it has a 10 year warranty. Give a shout out to Danny at Wright's Marine in St. Marys WV. It might be worth a call anyway, they will give you the straight skinny...

Fabulous motors!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

14. Member
    I promise you one thing you will love the torque of the G2, over 600 pounds of torque to get any boat on plane.

Starting MSRPs1 $20,000*

Rebates2 $1,250

Finance2 3.9%

Fake news????

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Fake news????
    Confeve

18. Member