2011 721 Pro / Motor Trailering Issues

Guys, I've had this boat for a few months now and I can't figure this out. Maybe you guys can help me. Let me provide some details.

2011 - Phoenix 721 - Merc Pro XS 250
    Atlas 8" Jack Plate

When I first got it, the previous owner used motor stiks to support the motor while trailering. I have always used a motor mate with my previous boats, so I bought one of those. After my first trip to the launch, my motor had fallen off of the motor mate. I had trimmed down as far as it would allow me with the motor mate on, just like normal. On the way home, it fell off again. I can def notice the motor bouncing for sure.

After all of this, I had my trim/tilt checked out by a a good Merc Tech in my area, and he saw nothing wrong at all. I described to him what it was doing, and he did not think it was a result of a problem with tilt/trim.

So, what else do you guys think I need to check? Could this be a jackplate issue?

I can answer any other questions you have...
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

2. Member
    Is it a Hyd. Plate? I use a Motormate on my 721 no issues. Have you made sure all your bolts are tight on motor and plate? Weird
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

Quote Originally Posted by sdendy View Post
    Is it a Hyd. Plate? I use a Motormate on my 721 no issues. Have you made sure all your bolts are tight on motor and plate? Weird
    It is a Hydro Plate. I trailer with it all the way down as well.
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

I have the same boat/motor & trailer. Used motor mate since day 1 with no issues. If you're trimming down into the cups good, you would almost certainly have either a short in the trim or a hydraulic leak. Only explanations I can think of.....
    Andy Cole
    2018 Skeeter FX21LE
    250 SHO VF250LA s/n 6CBL1017034

I’d go up to the motor and try to pull it up basically trying to yank the motor off the boat and see if you can actually recreate the situation in the drive way. There must be a lot of slop to have it bounce free. Take a look at the 2 Silver trim piston things on the motor where the old sticks were.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

6. Banned
    It only goes on one way, are you putting the correct side up so the bolts seat well in the motor mate? I cant imagine how it would fall off that, it would have to bounce up a inch to get off it and clear the bolts.

7. Member
    The only way for it to get slack is if you have your motor bushings wearing out or your trim unit has slack in it. That's the only 2 spots that can create the play needed for it to fall off