2011 Pro XS 250 - Bouncing around!

Guys, I've had this boat for a few months now and I can't figure this out. Maybe you guys can help me. Let me provide some details.

2011 - Phoenix 721 - Merc Pro XS 250
    Atlas 8" Jack Plate

When I first got it, the previous owner used motor stiks to support the motor while trailering. I have always used a motor mate with my previous boats, so I bought one of those. After my first trip to the launch, my motor had fallen off of the motor mate. I had trimmed down as far as it would allow me with the motor mate on, just like normal. On the way home, it fell off again. I can def notice the motor bouncing for sure.

After all of this, I had my trim/tilt checked out by a a good Merc Tech in my area, and he saw nothing wrong at all. I described to him what it was doing, and he did not think it was a result of a problem with tilt/trim.

So, what else do you guys think I need to check? Could this be a jackplate issue?

I can answer any other questions you have...
    Cody // 2011 Phoenix 721

There is a possibility the jack plate is loose, or the motor, also I could see this being an issue- the adjustment for slop on the trim pivot, it has a little Allen key to lock it down, tighten it by hand to take slop out then tighten Allen key
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I know you had the trim looked at but this has to be an issue with either the trim itself or as Sam suggested how the motor connects to the trim system. Since the motormate device locks the motor to the motor mount it is difficult to imagine the jackplate being involved here. Can you manually lift up on the skeg and notice any play? Have you confirmed that the pressure relief screw is sufficiently tightened?

4. Member
    As Jtreed stated, trim the motor up to where you would normally trailer it, forcibly lift up on the skeg with your hands, see if the motor moves up and down, if so you have broken motor mounts. Pretty simply to replace but the powerhead will need to come off. Don't run the boat with broken motor mounts.

Broken adapter plate
    Ryan Bauman 2022 Ranger 520R 250 Mercury ProXS Fourstroke

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishing122 View Post
    Broken adapter plate
    This would be my guess... and it will allow the engine to do all kinds of jumping around as the upper mounts can slide in and out of their bore once this happens.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor