plastic piece under trailer tongue

Not sure how to explain as as I can barely change a light bulb, but last night I pulled a chunk of plastic out from under the top of my trailer tongue. It looked to dry rioted as it broke in pieces very easily. What it is it, do I need to be concerned. Its 2008 929. Thanks in advance.

Most replacement bolt on from reese and older trailers nothing but metal in ball socket. You may of had a high-density polyethylene disc .. Original made years ago for semi 5th wheel to king pin. n grease needed..? maybe they came out with a mini ball cup insert for anti wear? I use white grease on top of Ball only, then when not using Boat for a time I wipe it off.. But on a ball hitch it don't take much of out of adjustment with the under ball tang to have a possible trailer tongue jump off ball , I had that happned once yrs ago towing my IB Ski Boat , I use 1/2" HD chains and it held up frame off pavement about 1" and luckily No Bow Bash in tailgate

3. Member
    If the trailer has surge brakes then the plastic could be part of a plastic sleeve which act as a bearing for the slide action of the actuator for the brake. If it has surge brakes then I would check the operation of the brakes if it is from the slide actuator you will need to replace it.
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

I agree with the above. Just keep an eye on how it feels when braking and accelerating.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Not to hijack your thread but was the plastic piece the clear cover that goes on top. My boy stepped on mine this weekend and it was extremely brittle. I have to call tracker and see if they have this cover.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by potomacbassin View Post
    Not to hijack your thread but was the plastic piece the clear cover that goes on top. My boy stepped on mine this weekend and it was extremely brittle. I have to call tracker and see if they have this cover.

If it is that cover, I've ordered 3 of them...LOL They get brittle in a hurry in this environment. Don't know if it would be same but my dealer stocked them under part # 9602976 Cover E-Stop Plastic $7.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

7. Member
    Same thing happened to mine . Order more than one

Lol, I put my hand on the top cover and it snapped into pieces, not even 2 years old... if you paint it with krylon fusion it should not absorb the UV rays and should last longer.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    I have noticed the new ones are black not clear..

10. Member
    Mine broke awhile back. I just put a peace of Gorilla tape over it. The tap is lasting.

11. Member
    I think Hekistner is right as it looks be some sort of sleeve. Is it an easy fix or is it going to cost me? By the way I lost lost that plastic cover a long time ago, have a piece of metal taped on.