Thread: Georgia lakes

Georgia lakes

Hey y'all I'm new to the state and have just moved from KY down to Gainesville and live right beside Lanier. Was wondering what lakes are better suited for shallow fishing? I've read on the other thread that Lanier fishes rather deep and you must rely on electronics to get on the fish and that is not what I am to awfully accustomed to. Any direction on a decent body of water more suited to what I'm use to would be much appreciated.
    Also do any of you have a recommendation for a guide on lake Lanier? I figure living this close to it I will end up fishing it more often then not.
    Thanks y'all.
    2007 Ranger Z20
    2019 225 G2

2. Member
    I would post this in the general bass boat topics. Not a lot of traffic here.
    If you want shallow, you are 2 hours away from Oconee and 2.5 hours away from Sinclair.
    Better find a guide for Lanier. Ryan Coleman is a name from the past over there, not sure if he still guides or not.
    Welcome to Georgia...

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You may as well learn how to fish deep, up in your neck of the woods most all the lakes are deep. You can catch fish shallow on Lanier stay up in the river north of Gainesville I've had great luck up the near the Olympic rowing area. A shakey head is your friend anywhere on Lanier. Nothing wrong with the main lake, get a paper map and study it. Find the humps.

4. Member
    Eufaula is a good shallow water grass/pad lake same with Seminole. you'd be looking at about a 4+ hour trip

5. Member
    Lanier is actually a great both shallow and deep. In the summer and winter, fish deep down areas down lake. Those big spots will come up in the summer from 30' deep to kill a spook or fluke. And drop shots in cover. There is a shallow bite year round in the creeks and up the rivers. Crankbaits, Spinnerbiats, and buzzbaits work very well in these areas. You will have to hit the backs of all the creeks to determine which ones have bigger bass. I get my tournament kickers in the backs of creeks.
    Champion man is right about up lake. I got one of my 6 lb spots at the rowing venue.

Oakwood bait and tackle on McEver road can set you up on the right tackle and tactics for spotted bass. Most of us keep tight on the largemouths as it is under rated and under fished.

6. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    John nailed it!
    Lanier can have some of the best largemouth fishing in GA. It can and does fish different from the muddy waters of south GA. But when you unlock the pattern it's consistent and rewarding. They can leave you wondering what the heck happened as well.

But once you pull a huge spot or school up out of deep water it brings on a new meaning to fishing. And technically your fishing shallow just over open water.

"Jimbo" Mathley and Ryan Coleman can show you the basics on spotted bass and deep water. I do recommend you go with someone it will drastically shorten your learning curve.
    Last edited by fishnfool38; 10-20-2017 at 07:13 AM.

7. Member
    I'm no deep water fisherman and I've only been to Lanier 3 or 4 times;but, I've never had a problem catching fish there. Shallow or deep they aren't that hard to find. I'm sure catching the big ones takes a lot more practice; but just fun fishing...I love that place. Like the guys above said, a spot will wallop a topwater no matter how deep the water is. Only drawback to that place is boat traffic.

8. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrimore View Post
    I'm no deep water fisherman and I've only been to Lanier 3 or 4 times;but, I've never had a problem catching fish there. Shallow or deep they aren't that hard to find. I'm sure catching the big ones takes a lot more practice; but just fun fishing...I love that place. Like the guys above said, a spot will wallop a topwater no matter how deep the water is. Only drawback to that place is boat traffic.

This is a pattern in itself!

9. Member
    Absolutely. Boat pass and make the herring move. And this usually creates a window of opportunity when they get chased to the top. YOu typically have about 5 seconds to get your bait on top of them.

Ryan Coleman is absolutely the call you need to make for guide service. Go to www.lanierspots.com. You'll learn to love Lanier!

Jimbo on Lanier is an AWESOME guide. Closest shallow lake for you is probably Oconee out east of you. Weiss on the west side is good too, although your LU is in jeopardy until you leRn the lake.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Banned
    Give Ryan a call and tell him I sent ya. I’m in Gainesville as well, mabe we can set up a trip