Catastrophic battery switch failure.115 Opti

My Blue Seas Systems m-Series Dual Circuit Plus BS grenaded on my yesterday.
    Sounder flicker then shut down,lost all power to other electronics.
    Opti still ran fine till alarms started when trimming the engine.
    Engine shut down when placed in idle.
    No power for a restart.
    Used needle nose pliers to jump across BS terminals and limped back to port.
    Would this electrical failure damage the Opti alternator diodes packs etc in anyway?
    Engine Serial # 2B012691
    Cheerz all.
    Peace:Via superior firepower.

2. Member
    Why did the Blue seas fail? Was gong to add a auto switch Blue Seas to a 2007 boat that has a house battery hooked to a onboard charger only ended up buying a new house battery rather then risk breaking expensive electrical stuff that are hooked to these systems. Decided if the factory did not put it in I'm not going to take a chance. After reading your story I feel I made the right choice.

3. Member
    Ronman.
    Blue Seas Systems(BSS)model # 6011 m-Series Dual Circuit Plus red Battery Switch 2013.
    The small screws in the back of the molded plastic stress fracture after cable lugs have been torqued down on the terminal screws/studs(120flbs).
    Vibration of boat pounding on the water/cable flex eventually causes the plastic/screws to separate causing the guts of the switch to fall out.
    Resulting in total lose of power.
    Jumped the contacts with needle nose pliers in my situation and nurse the boat back home.
    Well known weakness with particular model of BS.
    BSS has redesigned/strengthened the m-Series BS and will replaced defective units FOC.
    No such issues seem prevalent with the other BSS switches.
    But I suspect BSS should have issued a recall.
    US Coast Guard or other maritime rescue agencies must have seen this event/failure occur numerous times to issue warnings perhaps.
    Man made products fail from time to time.
    I accept that.
    And to BSS credit they have rectified their defective product line to my satisfaction.
    I will continue to use BSS product lines into the future,I have mostly all BSS electrical products on my boat that function just fine.
    Cheerz

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3RNZIR View Post
    The small screws in the back of the molded plastic stress fracture after cable lugs have been torqued down on the terminal screws/studs(120flbs).
    Sure hope you meant 120 inch lbs.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Sure hope you meant 120 inch lbs.

Once the switch is replaced, simply test the charging system output. And if you want to verify diodes are intact, measure AC voltage between the two battery terminals (make sure your meter is NOT Auto-Ranging- the voltage should not exceed 0.25 VAC).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    120 inch pounds is correct.
    Looks like the redesigned BS is now a 1 piece molding eliminating the screws that caused issues with the 2 piece unit.
    Good tip for testing there Don,many thanx.
    Cheerz