trim gauge issue

My gauge has power and good ground. That all checks out, but the reading on the gauge is not correct. It hovers around the left side of the gauge which is the "down" side. When I go back and push the sending unit up and down, or trim the motor up and down it will fluctuate just a tiny bit on the gauge, but stays on the left side of the gauge.

My sending unit isnt stuck...free moving. Do these units get faulty sometimes?

thanks

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    they do and sometimes the senders have issues. But it is best to check them.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    they do and sometimes the senders have issues. But it is best to check them.
    im pretty sure it’s the sender...when I measure resistance with ohms, with the motor all the way up, it shows no resistance at all. When I start trimming down it doesn’t register any reading of resistance until I get almost all the way down and it’ll register a range of movement from about 59-64 ohms...this is when it registers on the gauge.

from what I read, it’s supposed to measure all the way up like 10 ohms and all the way down somewhere around 90 ohms. I’m guessing my sender is bad. I can’t see where the wires go from the sender though. Up in the motor but can’t tell in there...it’s crowded.

4. Member
    So looking at this, if i replace the sender, I dont know where the wire goes from the sender. I see it going into the bottom of the motor housing, but I dont see it inside the motor anywhere. Its pretty congested in there. From the sending unit, there is a green wire, black wire, and a white wire (with a strip, which is the signal wire). By the parts list these wires turn into a plug somewhere.

I wouldnt mind doing this myself, just dont know where these wires go to when they come into the motor housing.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They go into a round connector. inside the motor on the port side. You'll have to push the pins out of the connector and install the new wires into it boom done. Helps if you take the belly pan off.

6. Member
    They go into a round connector. inside the motor on the port side. You'll have to push the pins out of the connector and install the new wires into it boom done. Helps if you take the belly pan off.
    The belly pan as in the underside cover?

is this easy to remove?

thanks a ton!

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Depends on your model number and horsepower.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    This little tool will make your life a whole lot easier.

9. Member
    This little tool will make your life a whole lot easier.
    What is that?

I have a 150 hp...Fast Strike 1994 (j150glera)

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It's called a pin pusher. You insert it into the male side of the connector and push the pin out of the connector. Four bolts gets your belly pan off.

11. Member
    It's called a pin pusher. You insert it into the male side of the connector and push the pin out of the connector. Four bolts gets your belly pan off.
    So this sender isn’t just a simple plug that unplugs and plugs into new one?

12. Member
    and it looks like from a different video that these two wires I am looking for may come straight up from the bottom...and run behind the cover that covers all the carbs up. I will see when I get home, but this would be the reason I cant find them anywhere over there on the port side of the motor.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    They actually run in the mesh protective cover along with the trim motor wires and then up into the engine's wiring harness. With the wires connected to the plug, you couldn't get them thru either the mesh or the hole in port side motor bracket. If you take the black plastic cover off the block that is just behind the starter motor.

14. Member
    They actually run in the mesh protective cover along with the trim motor wires and then up into the engine's wiring harness. With the wires connected to the plug, you couldn't get them thru either the mesh or the hole in port side motor bracket. If you take the black plastic cover off the block that is just behind the starter motor.
    So are you saying the plug to these wires is under that big black cover toward the back of the motor?

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    See this rat's nest? the harness is in there but I'm sure your rigging is much cleaner.

16. Member
    See this rat's nest? the harness is in there but I'm sure your rigging is much cleaner.
    I just checked. the plug comes in behind the carb cowl (whatever its called). Easy to get to. To get the plug end ran through all where it should go will be a task.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That is why you use the pin pusher to get the wires out of the connector. Tie a string to the wires and pull them back through the mesh. Then pull the string back to the motor with the new wires connected.

18. Member
    That is why you use the pin pusher to get the wires out of the connector. Tie a string to the wires and pull them back through the mesh. Then pull the string back to the motor with the new wires connected.
    Awesome...thanks for your help. This is what I will do. Probably going to order the pin pusher today unless there is something that sits around a household that will work similar.

Thanks

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hemostats may work.