Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Toyota Tundra was 500 miles

2. Member
    There is no way I could wait 1000 miles before towing with a new truck. I fish at least once a week. Sometimes twice or more. I bet 1/3 or more of the miles on my truck are with a boat on the back...haha.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

3. Member
    I bought a new F250 last year and it said 500 Miles, i waited 500 miles before towing my 10K pound car trailer, but not before my boat, figured it wouldnt be too much of a load for the truck LOL

4. Member
    Just bought a new Chevrolet 1500, checked with the dealer. No breaking period, towed my Ranger to Canada and back with less than 500 miles on it. No Problems.

My owner's manual states------ DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT FROM DAY ONE! Probably why my 5.4 runs / pulls so good

Every time somebody posts about miles youll get 4 pages of guys on here that have 20yr old trucks with 700,000mi on em and youre asking about a new truck on here?

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    Are there any restrictions regarding towing with a new vehicle...that is should it be driven a few thousand miles or whatever prior to towing?
    I have always heard wait 500 before towing and it was to break in the rear end gears.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    I have always heard wait 500 before towing and it was to break in the rear end gears.
    Ha, have you been with new car salesmen? They try to get you to roast the stickers off the tires... and after 50 miles I was all down for that per the book!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Banned
    I still don't understand why this is even a question.
    It's a new vehicle; why do people ask for opinions on BBC rather than go by what the designers and engineers have posted in the owners manual??

10. Banned
    My 2017 Ford F 350 with a 6.7 diesel said 1000 miles.

11. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    As stated gears are main factor with a heavy load. New gears go thru a heat until the gears wear a pattern.

Just put Yukon 4:56's in wife's 2015 jeep JK
    I drove it 15 miles let it cool down.
    Then a 50 mile trip cool down, this one scared me a little the rear housing was very hot to touch.
    Drove another 50 miles let it cool down, this time it wasn't as hot.
    Then drove normal for 300 more miles, changed the differential fluid and drove the hell out of it.

Yukon gears recommended break-in

"New Gear Break-In
    All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent overheating damage. Any overload-
    ing or overheating will break down the gear oil, which will cause the ring and pinion to fail.
    This can be determined by inspection and will void the gears’ warranty.
    Please follow these guidelines to insure proper break-in.
    n Avoid heavy acceleration during the break-in process.
    n Drive the vehicle lightly for the first 15 to 20 miles and stop. Let the differential cool
    before proceeding.
    n Avoid heavy acceleration for the first 100 miles.
    n Drive the vehicle at least 500 miles before towing to retain the gears’ warranty.
    n When towing for the first time, drive for a very short distances (less than 15 miles) with
    the full load and stop. Let the differential cool for about 20 minutes before proceeding.
    Repeat this procedure two more times (45 miles total) to fully break in the gears.
    n Change the oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles and phos-
    phoric coating shed by the gear set during the gears’ break-in period.
    These towing instructions may seem unnecessary to most people, but we have seen
    many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was fully broken-in.
    Overloaded or overheated gear oil will
    break down and destroy the ring and pinion!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12