Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

36 Volt Setup Question

Here's a question for you light boat people, also because I might (hopefully, praying) be setting up a Bullet for myself soon...

I have a 112 pound thrust Ulterra trolling motor. I love it. But it is heavy. I can deal with the weight of an Ulterra for how well it fishes though. I wanted to trade it to someone with an 80 pound Ulterra because then I could drop a battery. I ran 4 batteries in my Blazer plus the Ulterra.. HEAVY. Then I ran across an old thread on here on the Bullet page where a few of you Bullet guys were using 3 batteries total for 36 volt systems, cranking battery as the middle battery.

SO can I do this? 36 volt troller with middle battery as cranking? 3 batteries total? I kinda don't see why not... but then I wonder... someone obviously has done it before so???

2. Member
    Running 3 batteries and using one for a cranker will work and I know some do it with no issues, but I would not. Its hard enough on a cranker running pumps, graphs, lights, etc, without being tied to troller.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebob View Post
    Running 3 batteries and using one for a cranker will work and I know some do it with no issues, but I would not. Its hard enough on a cranker running pumps, graphs, lights, etc, without being tied to troller.
    ^^What he said^^ AND if you fish all day you'll run the cranker batt down which will then not crank yer mota plus your TM will not be getting the full 36v and will run like a dog!!!
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

4. Member
    If you want to try it, (there's nothing that says you can't add a separate cranking battery later) this is how to do it. Use a Yandina trollbridge for your combining and to keep everything charging while you are running. Here's the link and there is a schematic for 3 batteries down the page.

http://www.yandina.com/troll36info.htm

I sort of do that only I use Schematic B on that page and run my "A" trolling battery as a House battery. This allows me to keep the voltage on the screen of my HDS12 at the console and know exactly where my TM batteries are.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

I run a 36v TG109 and when I bought my boat it was rigged with the crankin battery as the third TM battery. Well let me tell ya, IMO that’s a bad idea. A lot of the lakes I run, I use a TM more than the big mota and a couple times when cranking the Merc, well there wasn’t enough crank. Not just cause I have a 300, but could be any. I rewired and now it’s 3 Tm batteries and 1 crankin!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

6. Member
    Those of you that are running 4 battery, where did you put the oil tank and battery charger

Do they have rehab for this addiction,cause I need to go!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Member
    Send me your number, I'll send you pics of mine with 4 batteries, I've ran 3 batteries before, but with the new electronics, 4 works much better

In my 21xd, all three TM batteries are side by side on the port side and the oil tank is over with the crankin battery on the starboard. My big Dual Pro professional 15A 4 bank is mounted on the back wall of the compartment behind the passenger seat and still plenty of room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Banned
    Yeah in my Blazer I felt like I needed 4. I had an Opti and HDS12 and HDS7. Bullet will only have promax... just wanna be lighter and faster. I was not impressed with my Blazers speed. I had to move one battery up to front of boat to try to level out weight and run oil tank and charger too. Boat was slow...

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    In my 21xd, all three TM batteries are side by side on the port side and the oil tank is over with the crankin battery on the starboard. My big Dual Pro professional 15A 4 bank is mounted on the back wall of the compartment behind the passenger seat and still plenty of room.
    This is a clean setup. I had a good wiring setup in my Blazer. With battery cutoff and good breaker bar I've installed. I know how to do good 4 battery electric setup.... just want less weight! I just need to buy a 300x and then I'll be fast no matter what I do lol

Quote Originally Posted by T-racer View Post
    This is a clean setup. I had a good wiring setup in my Blazer. With battery cutoff and good breaker bar I've installed. I know how to do good 4 battery electric setup.... just want less weight! I just need to buy a 300x and then I'll be fast no matter what I do lol
    Thanks! An X or XS in a 300 will do anything ya want

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Thanks! An X or XS in a 300 will do anything ya want
    I can only dream

13. Member
    I ran 3 batteries tottal with a 109MG on my 20XD bullet for 7 years. I do 15-20 fishing tournaments a year. I ran high compression modded hpdi, and a 300XS like this. I have NEVER not been able to start my motor.

I run a HDS 12 at the front and a HDS9 at the wheel.

If your worried carry a lithium booster pack with you. This will add less then 3 pounds and will give you peace of mind. I carry one around me but have never had to use it.

14. Member
    I ran three in my 2004, but when I put a hds 10 and a 8 on it had to jump the crankier a few times, no fun

15. Member
    I've done it both ways. If you crank and run regularly, the cranking battery stays charged, and at the end of the day will be stronger than the other 2 trolling batteries. If you fish for 8 hours straight, get a separate battery.
    I've also ran 4 batteries with the cranking battery paralleled with the end trolling battery. Doubles cranking amps and capacity, and again, gets charged when the big motor is running.

16. Member
    The guys that killed batteries are you running cranking batteries still? You got to run 3 group 31 deep cycles, I ran 3 deep cycle batteries instead. When i pre fish i just put the troller down and cover water, fish 12 hours or more straight no issues.

Canadabullet only runs 2 batteries in his boat with his 24V troller with no issues. His running 2 AGM group 31's and carry's a lithium battery pack.
    Last edited by hyperflow; 10-16-2017 at 07:04 AM.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperflow View Post
    The guys that killed batteries are you running cranking batteries still? You got to run 3 group 31 deep cycles, I ran 3 deep cycle batteries instead. When i pre fish i just put the troller down and cover water, fish 12 hours or more straight no issues.

Canadabullet only runs 2 batteries in his boat with his 24V troller with no issues. His running 2 AGM group 31's and carry's a lithium battery pack.
    I was wondering size of batteries. The batteries I have are all group 31s. 1000 cranking amps and over 200 reserve minutes. With a 4 battery system, my ipilot remote shows I have never run my trolling batteries below 75%... I also don't think I've ever fished a spot for longer than 2-3 hours ever. Hmmmm. I wonder... still just as debating as I was! I also wonder if motor has to do with it. I know Optis require a bunch of power to spin that compressor. You could just tell it was a power hog. The pro max I had seemed to not need as much juice. Would spin over easier.

18. Member
    I pu two batteries on each side, the oil reservoir is still on the driver's side, just moved it back a little, this was the boat stays balanced, and yes I used to run a cranking battery and two trolling batteries, maybe why I had that problem

19. Member
    Drop to group 34 batteries for troller and they are lighter. All 3 fit in the passenger compartment. I did it and its a breeze. I wouldn't use my cranker as the 3rd.
    2013 20XD/ 250XS

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-racer View Post
    I was wondering size of batteries. The batteries I have are all group 31s. 1000 cranking amps and over 200 reserve minutes. With a 4 battery system, my ipilot remote shows I have never run my trolling batteries below 75%... I also don't think I've ever fished a spot for longer than 2-3 hours ever. Hmmmm. I wonder... still just as debating as I was! I also wonder if motor has to do with it. I know Optis require a bunch of power to spin that compressor. You could just tell it was a power hog. The pro max I had seemed to not need as much juice. Would spin over easier.
    I been running a 300XS for 3 years now with this setup. My buddy has the same setup in his gambler with 250XS. Not starting my big motor isn't even a thought in the back of my mind anymore.

If your runnning 3 good group 31's you won't have issues. You can bring a lithium booster pack with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast