link n sync 3.0 carb motor

ser.# OG319589.
    I've been trying for months to get my engine to run as good as possible. The motor has about 40 hrs. on it and runs very good all around. The only issue I have is lazy take off and mid range is not as snappy as I would like. I have factory manual and follow it to a T. Carburetors very clean and idle screws turned out 1 1/2
    The last time I set the TPI (using proper harness) was at the ramp and running. I found the best idle speed and engine response at 1.03 not the recommended .955. My question is, does this TPI timing advance work through out the rpm range or just at the lower end? I haven't driven it at max rpm yet until I know it's safe.
    Last edited by Ultrafast; 10-18-2017 at 12:41 PM.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Do you have carbon fiber reeds in it?

3. Member
    I'm using lapped ccms reeds.

4. Member
    bump.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    TPI affects engine all through the throttle range.

What prop are you running (and what PVS opening sizes)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    If the TPI adjusts through out then I'm not in a good spot. The prop is a custom Mirage 15 1/4 X18 cupped. Max Rpm 5,600@ 48 mph. Deep V hull. My issue began when I tried to raise the idle RPM with just the adjustment screws on carb. currently idles at 600 in forward. The idle adj. screws had little effect engine sneezes off idle if I lean them out.

7. Member
    I would check the reed standoff......its possible that you over tightened the mounting screws, during installation.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would also put the mixture screws back at factory setting, PLUS 1/8-1/4 turn counter-clockwise.

Read up in the manual on idle timing/idle speed adjustment (which are part of a proper Sync-n-Link procedure).

BEST thing would be to perform a COMPLETE Sync-n-Link now (from scratch).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor