Talons on 200 pro XL hole shot gone

So we installed 2 10' Talons on a 03 200 proxl with 13 etec 225HO, 226 RakerII with 6" jackplate.

This may have been a mistake, because our hole shot is gone.

How to we get this back?

2. Member
    I had same issue 24p bravo1 with 8 pvs holes cured my issues can you open up more venting? need a 24 or 25 likely 4 blade- what is rpms on holeshot now? need 3500 rpms

what is ptp measurement? talons up as high as possible including brackets??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    I have to recheck to PTP (I'm thinking 2.75). What do you mean talons up as high as possible, there are mounted on back of jack plate between motor and jackplate.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....316&highlight=

Click on link. There is multiple pictures posted. Look for one where it is mounted to a motor. This is not your traditional hydrofoil when it comes to looks. I have a traditional hydrofoil and it was by far the best thing I ever done to improve holeshot. Even though I have personally never used Cbailey's foil it will be my next purchase when I need another foil. There has been too many positive feed backs here on BBC about his foil for me not to believe it works. I know my traditional Stingray Hydrofoil works so why would his not do the same. Plus the one Chris makes looks a lot better. All you have to do is get over the fear of drilling holes in your cavitation pate. Heck I drilled holes in mine when my motor was only two months old...best thing I ever done to improve hole shot. I could have spent 3-500 on a 4 blade prop and lost 1-3 mph but gained holeshot. instead I spent a lot less and lost zero on top end speed because it it out of the water when running WOT.

5. Banned
    That's a lot of weight; either open the prop vents or re-prop.

If your holeshot is off slightly adding more ventilation or raising the motor will help. If your holeshot is terrible you will need more than venting. You will need another prop or a foil. My vote is a foil because I have been down this road

7. Member
    Any 200proxl owners out there with same configuration?

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kkaiser View Post
    I have to recheck to PTP (I'm thinking 2.75). What do you mean talons up as high as possible, there are mounted on back of jack plate between motor and jackplate.
    If the bracket is mounted as high as possible, then is the Talon mounted as high as possible in the bracket?

9. Banned
    As asked earlier, is the prop vented, and what are the RPM's when struggling to get out of the hole?

10. Member
    Raker II do not have PVCS plugs like merc.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Raker II do not have PVCS plugs like merc.
    I sent my 24 Raker II to Mark Croxten and had him drill the vent holes so they were just like the Mercury PVS holes. With all three holes open it blew out once the bow started brake over. It did gain rpm's quicker but it blew out once it got there. I ended up with one hole open and large hole plugs in the other two. This let it build rpm's the best and still bite once the bow broke over. Adjusting motor height up will also help build rpm's on holeshot but the problem is if you go too high it will blow out and your water pressure is weaker. As previously mention a foil was the best thing I ever done to improve holeshot. If you opposed to a foil then get a Bravo XS. The bravo line of props are king when it comes to holeshot and bite. A cbailey foil is around 130-150 ish with improved holeshot and no top end speed loss. Bravo XS 4-500 ish. Then you have to hope you get the right pitch. If not you will need one with a different pitch. Plus you will lose 1-3 mph on top end. If your holeshot is decent but sluggish you can adjust set-up or modify your prop. If your holeshot is very bad then you will need to do something more dramatic like a foil or different prop.

12. Member
    I run dual 12ft talons on my 201 and have lost no holeshot. I run a 225 pro xs and 25p fury. I have the brackets set as high as possible on jackplate. No issues.

13. Member
    Is it possible I need to witch the bracket? It's sandwich style. I have a slidemaster manual jack plate.

14. Member
    my talon bracket bolts to JP --i also have a bobs machine shop whaletail but think the prop helped the most--send prop to mark and have him add pvs holes
    Last edited by mactlman; 10-17-2017 at 07:33 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Banned
    Is it possible I need to witch the bracket? It's sandwich style. I have a slidemaster manual jack plate.
    So it's a sandwich bracket (generally used when you don't have a jackplate) mounted between the motor and the jackplate?? That's A LOT of weight setback on the transom. Your Talons are 6" further to the rear than if you had used Talon side mount jackplate brackets.
    You may need to reprop, and/or use a hydrofoil.
    As asked earlier, are the Talons as high as they will go in the brackets?

16. Member
    From what I can they are all the way up on the bracket.

I will try and send pic's but if anyone can send me pic that would be helpful.

17. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I have the universal side mounting bracket. If I understand what you posted correct you have the sandwich bracket. If this is the case then my bracket is different from yours but I still have everything mounted as high as possible. Looking at the picture it may be hard to tell but my side mount is as high as possible. Notice how its almost even with the front top part of my jackplate. If the sandwich plate is made the way I "think" it is then there is no vertical adjustment because the holes on the plate line up with the bolt pattern of the motor. If I am wrong and there is indeed vertical adjustment mount it as high as possible. Where the arm mounts to the side plate notice I have it in the top set of bolt holes. Also notice my talons are as high as they can go. Another thing to make sure of is your bracket should have come with a cover plate that goes on the bottom of the triangle shaped bracket. This plate ensures they do don't scoop up water. Make sure you have that plate I am talking about. Another thing to add is get them as close to the boat as you can. The arm has slots so you can change the angle. The closer to the boat they are the less drag they have on holeshot. My talon brackets are so close to the boat that they almost touch.

Last edited by JR19; 10-17-2017 at 03:52 PM.