Thread: SHO flusher

SHO flusher

Getting ready to put 225 SHO away fo the winter and want to change my own oil. Are you guys that are doing it yourself running the motor on a flusher to warm it up first? If so where is the best place to buy one. Or could I just run it in a tank? Seems like with the flusher you may get a little more water pressure from the hose running.

Thanks

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    You could run it in a tank or on the flusher. I've run mine in a tank. Just have to make sure the motor has enough of the lower covered to get water

4. Member
    set up a tank for mine also, got tired of messing with boots and muffs. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    Can’t you just hook hose on motor hose that unscrews? I thought no need for muffs for this makes it “pee”

6. Member
    It has a hose hookup on the side of the motor
    2004 Ranger 521vx Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    I thought the hose hook up on the side was for back flushing not for cooling when running.

8. Member
    If you run it for any length of time they will overheat on the flush hose. It is only 1/4" or so. Not enough flow to cool. Cj

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    If you run it for any length of time they will overheat on the flush hose. It is only 1/4" or so. Not enough flow to cool. Cj
    1/4” is plenty. Water is being forced in at high pressure and you are getting way more water flow than the motor could ever pump itself...

10. Member
    If it runs on flush I have been told water is getting to cooling passages but not water pump. Therefore you are spinning a dry rubber impeller in a metal housing.

Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    If it runs on flush I have been told water is getting to cooling passages but not water pump. Therefore you are spinning a dry rubber impeller in a metal housing.
    That's what I thought as well. The hookup on the side is for flushing (not running), like after you come out of salt water. Dont want to take a chance of burning up the impeller so I have the attachment that Drew linked above. Putting it in a tank works as well
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    That's what I thought as well. The hookup on the side is for flushing (not running), like after you come out of salt water. Dont want to take a chance of burning up the impeller so I have the attachment that Drew linked above. Putting it in a tank works as well

I just read the manual and man yall are right! it says do not run motor because damage to water pump and overheating!!!! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO TELL THE MECHANICS AT ANGLERS CHOICE THIS!!! every year when they used to PM my boat the mechanic would run it for 15+ mins on the water hose hookup... and Ive done it many times also! GRRRRR

13. Member
    That's so they can sell you more impellers.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leethefishking View Post
    No, the water also goes down the up pipe to the impeller so it does not hurt it. BUT they will overheat if ran too long and trip the alarm. 1/4" flow even under pressure is not enough volume. I can build 15psi of pressure with a tank at 2500-3k rpm but nothing with the flush hose as there is not enough volume. The top of the heads on the engines get hot as there is not enough cooling water with the flush hose. This is all from experience. I run all the engines I rebuild and tune for people before I take them to the lake. CJ

15. Member
    Man good to know my impeller is OK

16. Member
    Good to know in a pinch !