Banned

Need to hear from Z9 owners

Considering a 2015 Z9 with a 250. What do you like? What don't you like? How is the quality of the boat? How is the ride? Fishability? Etc. Want to hear it all. Thanks

2. Member
    I would go with a used Z21 if at all possible. I think it is built better, THE RIDE IS WAY BETTER in rough water. Both of them fish well and have a lot of storage. Honestly if I could not get a Z21 would buy a used 921 Phoenix over the Z9 no question. PM me if you would like details. I have owned 2 Nitro 929's, 2 Nitro 901's, 1 Nitro Z9 and 1 Nitro Z21 so I know the nitro boats well and live on a rough water lake.

3. Member
    I have a 2015 Z9 and the ride is great and it fishes great, but it is a tank!! You aren't going to be outrunning many people. I don't care much about speed so I'm happy with only topping out at 68-69. I cruise in the low 50s most of the time anyway to conserve fuel. I do wish the front deck storage was set up different. I would rather have the one large compartment of the Z8 vs the 3 compartments it has. I just have never been able to get my stuff organized the way that really works for me.

I've never been in a Z21 so I can't compare the ride, but I have been in 2 Phoenix 921s(mentioned above) and both handle similar in my opinion. If you can get a 921 for a better deal, you wouldn't be doing yourself a disservice going that route......but I wouldn't pay more to be in a Phoenix. Every individual boat has its own personality, there are Z9s that ride great and some that ride terrible. I can only vouch for mine and I have no complaints with anything but storage, and I put mine through some pretty rough conditions.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

4. Member
    I have 2012 Z9. Personally I like the storage layout with the 3 compartments. Makes organizing much easier to me. Also like the two side drawers in the consoles. Great for items like fish care stuff and throwable marker buoys etc. The boat is a barge. No other way to describe it. The front deck is huge and I know the Z21 is even longer. Very stable with the trolling motor down, comparable to a ranger in that regard. As far as performance goes, it's very weight sensitive. With lighter loads it will runs 71-72 and want to chine walk, but with a heavy tourny load it's 65-68. Overall a good boat. Can't go wrong for the price

I never had quality issues with my z9s, and I think the 2014 to 2015 boats were the best for quality. Good riding boat
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Well this is my 2 cents so take it for what its worth. This is my first Nitro and a Z9 and like others have said its massive. i was in skeeters for many years and night and day from the ride. my skeeter had tons of lift and doesn't chine walk. My Z9 isn't slow by any means and runs consistent 70-71 with 2 people and gear probably 20-30 gallons of fuel and that's plenty fast. It has more storage than i need but in rough or "Big" water i feel very safe with how wide and stable it is. And for the price i got it for although its my local dealer i would never find a 21'+ boat with a 250 for...$22K was a steal and i couldn't find anything close to that for the amount of boat i got.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

My 2015 z8 is built just fine, there is a couple stress cracks from under my passenger seat 2" long and a couple from the fuel gauge 2" long. I had to put a little carpet glue on the rod ramp area, other than that just a few nicks from flipping weights. I am considering buying a z20 but can't justify my loss on mine as it is in such good shape and I am super happy with it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Love my 2013 bought it used before the start of the season. Put 90 hours on it this year all over the northern waters from Ontario, to Champlain and locally. Love the boat and the ride! Had some motor troubles that warranty covered without question but that has nothing to do with the Z9. The storage and fishing space on the boat is huge. You'll top out in the low 70's but that's plenty fast for most.

9. Member
    Have only had my 2008 Z9 since July but so far I love it. I have had other boats and can say that storage on the Z9 is awesome! Everywhere you look, there's a drawer or compartment. I agree with others on quality though. I've noticed that some things like thru-hull fittings and cleats coming loose. Also having chrome issues at the consoles where the gages and steering wheel chrome is flaking off. The deck is huge and then ride is very good. Fishes awesome! Have seen others considering a Z9 with a 200hp...I would say no to anything other than a 250! The Z9's are beasts! Without at least a 250, you would go nowhere very quickly! They are big and heavy, but this also makes for a great ride. My suggestion...ride before buying. You may find it NOT to your liking. Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Over 300 hrs on my motor (2014) fish every chance I get. Been on big waters, small waters and major rivers. Absolutely love the boat. Definitely would buy again....
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250 FS

11. Member
    Man, I have to strip my boat down and take all the gear out and run an 1/8th tank of gas to hit 70. No way I ever get 72. I guess mine just has some chunky thighs....but I still like her.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

I know when I take my 999 off the side of the console I am 0.8mph just from that.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Banned
    Thanks guys, I missed out on the Z9

14. Member
    I am told the older Z9's 08-12 are the fastest ones..I think Bryan can attest to this. I run a 25 fury 3.5" - 3 3/4" below the pad 5800+ RPM @ 70.5-71 with 2 guys tourney loaded. this is 2 200lb guys and a half a tank approx.
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ MarineBassAnglers

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlong49 View Post
    Man, I have to strip my boat down and take all the gear out and run an 1/8th tank of gas to hit 70. No way I ever get 72. I guess mine just has some chunky thighs....but I still like her.
    Those Power Poles drop 3-4 MPH i had talons before and she wouldn't run more than 67
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ MarineBassAnglers

16. Member
    True. I didn't think that some of those numbers are probably coming off boats without Power Poles.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJfrank View Post
    Thanks guys, I missed out on the Z9
    That's a shame......but I'll sell you mine for the right price!
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

18. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tzx200 View Post
    I am told the older Z9's 08-12 are the fastest ones..I think Bryan can attest to this. I run a 25 fury 3.5" - 3 3/4" below the pad 5800+ RPM @ 70.5-71 with 2 guys tourney loaded. this is 2 200lb guys and a half a tank approx.

08-09 were the lightest hulls...Well 07s were but not too many exists.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team