x3 motorguide amp draw

In a pinch, I ordered an x3 motorguide 24v 70 lb (nondigital) last week, and mounted it in time for an important tournament. Ran out of battery power after 6 hours not even using it much. Anyone out there experience massive battery drain with this motor? Had to change my whole game plan for second day of tournament. Sucked. Would appreciate anyone who can find the amp draw specs on this motor vs. the digital model.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Though not as efficient as a digital motor at lower speeds, I'd think your problem lies elsewhere. TM current is influenced by many things. Boat weight, current and wind are the biggest influences. That motor is going to draw pretty close to the same current as any other non-digital 70lb motor does on your boat. On high speed, there is no difference in power consumed by a digital or non-digital motor.

My bet is you have a bad battery or a problem with wiring or connector.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Thanks CatFan. I'll look into it.

4. Member
    I have an X 3, fish all day and still have plenty left. I bought an X5 and its still in the box. No need to switch until a problem arises.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

5. Member
    The motor amp draw is the same on high speed as the digital. It is the way the motor pulls the voltage. On a digital, it works on pulses based on the speed setting. The higher the speed setting, the closer the pulses are together. On a step speed, no matter what speed it's on, the voltage pull is the same and while amp draw is reduced by the speed (resistor coils) coils, the unused voltage is dissipated as heat out of the trolling motor into the water.
    this makes them more of a "battery hog" than the digital motor.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks to all. I will call Motorguide to see if they have amp pull per hour at all settings (1-5) just for my own info. I will post those if they have them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    Thanks to all. I will call Motorguide to see if they have amp pull per hour at all settings (1-5) just for my own info. I will post those if they have them.
    They just give Max Amp draw, not amp draw at each setting since that changes and is based on the actual resistance of the speed coil. Although the resistance should be the same, there is going to be some difference due to tolerances.

On Motorguides website:
    http://www.motorguide.com/store/prod...r-use/x3/specs
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

After talking to a Motorguide associate, I was told that there really wasn't much difference in the amp draw between the digital and non digital motors. He speculated that the amp draw on high is around 40-46 amps per hour and on lowest speed (1) the amp draw is probably about 15-18 amps per hour. Mr. Jones, you are one smart person. So impressed with your knowledge. Please run for Congress.