Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helix Mega units, can't keep them on

Guys, I have been having this issue since installing and I can't get it solved. I was a long time lowrance user. Mega imaging changed that. I love the units and as a brushpile/offshore fisherman, they have literally made me money this year. I have had many practice days where I haven't made a cast but cashed a check in the tournament because I've gotten so in tune with the units that I can tell the size class of the fish without having to pull the first bite off of brush piles (most often the biggest). However, I almost can't enjoy the units because they shut off EVERY time I start my boat. Also, with livewells running they shut off while fishing. Now, let me state this up front, I have installed TWO brand new cranking batteries, and even straight wired a big wire to supply the units. I am not running dual cranking batteries. What I meant by installed two is that, I have replaced it twice. I never had this issue with my lowrance units. Anybody experienced this issue and solved it? I would appreciate the help if so. I know the answer everyone wants to throw out is, bad battery, bad wiring. I assure you, I have ample power supply to these units. They shouldn't be shutting off with a brand new fresh charged cranking battery. I am running single helix 10 at console and bow. I want to add solix 12 at console but I can't keep the ones I have running so 3 would be a nightmare.

What size battrey? And what brand/CCA/Reserve minutes?
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    everstart marine maxx 29 group 845 mca. Had interstate the same size before. Battery is a week old. No change in the issue after replacing the battery. My lowrance units never cut off not one time on this boat. On my old boat it happened once and after they shut off my boat wouldn't start.

4. Member
    thinking that I may get a matching battery and run them parallel to see if this solves the issue.

5. Member
    You might want to put in another battery and just use it for the electronics instead of hooking one in parallel. Bob

It's obvious from your descriptions that you don't have ample power at the units.
    If all the stuff you have done still provides inadequate power, your wiring connections may be the issue causing resistance/low voltage. Re-do every splice/connection between the unit power cord and battery.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    You might want to put in another battery and just use it for the electronics instead of hooking one in parallel. Bob
    Agreed.

It does sound like your wiring is too light, I have seen this many times, including a good friend that refused to do anything about it - until I installed his new H9 with #10 GA. straight to the battery....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

8. Member
    We are not talking about lots of power for a Helix. I have installed the Solix 12. I have a 38 amp hour battery three years old. Good connections good wire. No problems. This stuff is not rocket science. Oh, Honda electric start motor.
    Last edited by StrikeBack; 10-15-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    It's obvious from your descriptions that you don't have ample power at the units.
    If all the stuff you have done still provides inadequate power, your wiring connections may be the issue causing resistance/low voltage. Re-do every splice/connection between the unit power cord and battery.
    I appreciate the responses. You guys are extremely knowledgable and I value the input given. However, let me give you my detailed setup. I have 8 guage wire running from battery straight to a 4 way fuse box installed in my console. Have 12 guage wire running from fuse box to untis even though this is pointless becasue to have a wire that is much thicker that the power cable it is attaching to is absolutely useless. Installed this way to create an easy and capable source for 3 units. After having so much trouble with 2, I am holding off on going to 3. My current power supply is massive overkill. Before installing this wiring setup I was using factory Phoenix 920 wiring which SHOULD be plenty. They were shutting of every single time I started my motor. After installing new setup, They will stay on first few hours of fishing and then begin shutting off every single time I start my engine and by early afternoon the begin shutting off while fishing. A 29 group battery is more than enough to supply these units. As many posts as I've seen about this it has me wondering how long we are gonna keep blaming wiring and start blaming these units for being horribly voltage sensitive. My hds units NEVER shut off on far less capable wiring. I have checked connections. It is not connections. I can't run a seperate battery for graphs only because then the motor wont charge it throughout the day and then they would never turn on. If I run parallel then altenator will charge them both. We will see. I have had enough so I WILL get this resolved and will post the resolution once I do.
    Last edited by bgproudfew; 10-16-2017 at 11:06 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikeBack View Post
    We are not talking about lots of power for a Helix. I have installed the Solix 12. I have a 38 amp hour battery three years old. Good connections good wire. No problems. This stuff is not rocket science. Oh, Honda electric start motor.
    You have a solix. completely different unit. my hds12s and 9s never shut off either. I could run livewells, with bilge on, drop/raise my power poles never a problem even with an old battery. The couple times my hds units did shut off it was in tournaments that I sat in the tailrace from sunrise until weigh in and when they did shut off, my battery was to weak to start my motor. If the battery can turn over a 250 sho, it can run a depth finder. or so I would think. It's easy to sit back and make comments like "this stuff is not rocket science" when it's not you that is having an issue. I'll have you know that I'm not just some guy first learning this stuff. This is not my first rodeo. I have LOTs of experience rigging bass boats. I know its not rocket science and I am an informed individual when it comes to principles of electronics. So, lets not make rude shots like that at someones intelligence.
    Last edited by bgproudfew; 10-16-2017 at 11:08 PM.

11. Member
    How is the negative wire connected to battery?
    My connection was near the top of the post and it was doing similar things. I moved closer to bottom of post and problem solved.

12. Member
    Sorry bgproudfew, it is not rocket science. It is a simple problem. You are not getting enough power to a unit which takes less power than a Solix. I also have a Helix 12. It is either battery, wire or connections, Not rocket science. Redo the connections if the wire is sufficient and the battery is good.

So what do your think it is?
    John

13. Member
    Sorry bgproudfew, it is not rocket science. It is a simple problem. You are not getting enough power to a unit which takes less power than a Solix. I also have a Helix 12. It is either battery, wire or connections, Not rocket science. Redo the connections if the wire is sufficient and the battery is good.

So what do your think it is?
    I wish I knew. I don't see how it could be connections. Crimped and soldered with heatshrink as I don't like doing things twice. Same issue on 2 completely different wiring setups and 2 different batteries. All I know is I am not alone in this. I know many people that fish the BFL and ABT with me that are running new helix units that are having same issue. have a friend with a helix 5 on his aluminum riverboat and it does the same thing. 1st and foremost the main issue is how voltage sensitive helix units are in general. We will see after I redo everything before an event this week. On wed we are going through it again. I will be fishing offshore at this event so I need them on. Plus, I'd like to get it resolved so I can add a Solix 12 at the console.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWNW View Post
    How is the negative wire connected to battery?
    My connection was near the top of the post and it was doing similar things. I moved closer to bottom of post and problem solved.
    I don't know for sure where on the post it is. It is simalar setup as the power cable though. It just goes to a single lug instead of to the fuse box. I will check this. thanks

15. Member
    Well as you say you have some experience with these things and sounds like you are confident the connections are good. Maybe that particular unit is power sensitive given you have had feedback from others on those units. Maybe a call to HB suggesting that may be a concern. Maybe others here with the same units could chime in.
    John

16. Member
    Well as you say you have some experience with these things and sounds like you are confident the connections are good. Maybe that particular unit is power sensitive given you have had feedback from others on those units. Maybe a call to HB suggesting that may be a concern. Maybe others here with the same units could chime in.
    Humminbird maint. staff is aware of it. I live 20 min from eufaula, al which is the location of the main humminbird facility. It is a known issue by the technicians that work there. Seems that some, yourself included are having no issues though. I will find a way to make it work. If I get that resolved, get the down imaging to show bass on ledges close to as good as lowrance, and a software update that allows a top/bottom split for gps and side imaging I will be one happy camper. so far these are my only complaints and i can do without the last 2 if I must.

17. Member
    Here's a little troubleshooting trick you can try.

Familiarize yourself with the MIN/MAX function found on most multi-meters.
    When this feature is active, it will store the minimum and maximum values while connected for later review.

Connect the meter to the same location the graph recieves its voltage, activate the MIN/MAX function, then start the motor. Afterwards review the meter and see what the minimum voltage shows.
    Next connect the meter directly to the battery and repeat the test.

If the minimum voltage is significantly less only at the location the graph is wired(IE fuse panel,) then your issue is most certainly wiring.
    If the minimum voltage is still significantly less directly at the battery, then it is rather an issue with the battery or the starter pulling too high of a load during startup.

If voltage drop is not the problem, then perhaps look real close at the ground path to the HB's and the battery itself.

Another possibility is an over-voltage during the start phase, which you can also review using the MIN/MAX feature, but since you mentioned they reset while using the livewell, this is unlikely.

Happy troubleshooting,
    Scott
    Last edited by tweakjr; 10-17-2017 at 02:24 AM.

what motor do you have? mercury optimax requires at least 850 CCA your battery being 845 is enough to start your motor as long as battery is hot but its taking all of the power away from everything else to do it.
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...7m/sli27agmdpm
    get one of these and you will have no problems running everything on one battery

i have 2 helix 10's
    humminbird 898
    humminbird 899
    360 imaging
    all pumps and interior lights
    plus deck lighting and rub rail lights for night fishing

this battery is high but worth every penny i wont go back to regular lead acid battery again
    2017 Phoenix 919 Pro-XP 225 Mercury Pro-XS

20. Member
    bgproudfew,

I don't have the mega helix 12 drawing 3 amps, I have the Helix 12, which only draws 1.75 amps. Mind you that is a big engine and does take a bit to turnover, so could be something there as Bass24-7 suggests.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast