Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Outing with My New Lynx

First off, let me say I am by no means an expert on driving Basscats. But I can say for once I picked the exact boat I had hoped it would be. I launched at Powell Park on Rayburn and it looked as if every boat in Texas was on the lake. Speed boats, bass boats and recreational boats. It was pretty rough water. The Lynx handled it with ease. Drop the bow and the deep hull sliced through the chop. It turns and handles like no other boat this size I have ever been in. Ok, performance wise I am sure better drivers could wring more out of this boat than I can but, I was able to squeeze 74 mph loaded with all my gear, two full tanks of gas, no water in the livewells and two people. By myself 75 easily and 76 once. I do not think the prop is right. It has a 24 Fury 3 blade with all the vents open. Hole shot was good. Since I am still breaking it in, I could not run it wide open but for short bursts. It will get on the limiter easily if I stayed in it so I'm sure I will be going up in prop. This is much tamer than my Puma was at top speed and is very easy to drive with just a light input on the steering wheel. The 250 Verado is a beast! Hole shot is good, mid range is great and top end throttle response is like no other motor I have ever ran. It takes a very short time for the motor to reach top speed. In my short time of running the boat I believe the Verado and most likely the SHO would be the motors of choice for this big boat. I can't imagine how this boat would run with a 300 Verado on it. Perfect boat for me, big deck, fast, stable, of the highest quality. The Verado power steering is like no other steering I have used. With the right driver and propped right the Lynx will be fast for such a big boat.

2. Member
    Great review. I've been waiting to hear some first hand info from owners of this model. Mid 70s is impressive with the 250 VRod. I wonder how this boat would run with a G2

3. Member
    I don't know. I suspect the G2 would push it well. From what I've read it's supposed to have lots of torque.

4. Member
    i would think a 26 would be better pitch for that
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Nice report. Glad you like your new rig.

6. Member
    Just finalized the order on my Lynx on Saturday. I seriously considered the G2 but ultimately went with the 250 SHO. Love the idea of the power steering, simplicity of the 2 stroke, but just couldn't get over all the negative reviews. Seems like people either loved them and thought they were the best motor ever, or they absolutely hated them. Never anything in between.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by proptwister View Post
    Just finalized the order on my Lynx on Saturday. I seriously considered the G2 but ultimately went with the 250 SHO. Love the idea of the power steering, simplicity of the 2 stroke, but just couldn't get over all the negative reviews. Seems like people either loved them and thought they were the best motor ever, or they absolutely hated them. Never anything in between.
    Congrats, you will love the boat.

8. Member
    Thanks! Excited to say the least.

Gonna be a long wait!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

I've had three of them and absolutely love the G2...Where did you see bad reviews on the G2? I've seen maybe one or two guys on BBC and the rest were over on various saltwater forums...

If you don't mind me asking...What was the final price tag on your Lynx order?

10. Member
    PM sent Bassmasterffej.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

12. Banned
    Ive seen 4 towed in this year

14. Member
    I really think we are going to keep seeing more Vrods on bass rigs. Congrats on the new Lnyx!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    I really think we are going to keep seeing more Vrods on bass rigs. Congrats on the new Lnyx!
    I took a hard look a the Verado as well. One of the reasons I shied away from it is that the 200,250, and 300 are all based on the same 2.6 block. The SHO uses a 4.2 block for their 250 and 300 motors. I was more comfortable with the motor that wasn't tweaked as tight to make equal, or even more, power. Maybe it isn't anything to worry about but my plan is to keep this rig a while and I wanted as few as issues as possible.

The power steering and fly-by-wire was sure tempting though!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

I took a hard look a the Verado as well. One of the reasons I shied away from it is that the 200,250, and 300 are all based on the same 2.6 block. The SHO uses a 4.2 block for their 250 and 300 motors. I was more comfortable with the motor that wasn't tweaked as tight to make equal, or even more, power. Maybe it isn't anything to worry about but my plan is to keep this rig a while and I wanted as few as issues as possible.

The verado has a track record on several thousands of hours on a power head. The engine never needs a valve adjustment like other 4 strokes. I am sure the SHO will be excellent too.

17. Member
    Awesome, keep it coming. Hope to put one on order next year possibly.

18. Member

I think a person should buy what they have the most confidence in. I will just say this if I wanted a half ton truck to pull a boat with. The 1970's Chevys at 390 HP 454 @ 500 foot pounds. The 2012 ford ecoboost had 365 HP and 410 Foot pounds. I will take the smaller Ford over the Chevy because the ford will be going when the 454 dies. The smaller 6 cylinder will live longer then the big V8. I loved my Sho but my next one will be the Verado. I want the 300 on a Lynx or PHX 21 just my .02

I had a 250 Verado on my 2006 Puma and the new Lynx will have a Verado 300 Pro. Fast, smooth, no noise and power steering. Great motor.

20. Member
    Glad I made the choice for a Verado. The throttle response is amazing. On another note, this is my son's and my other hobby. Our car is the the white Fox body. Maybe it will buff out!

https://www.facebook.com/nationalnop...ww&pnref=story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast