Thread: GPS=Chart Speed

GPS=Chart Speed

Why can't humminbird come out with an update so the chart speed will change with the gps speed? It just seems to easy! I would definitely use it.

2. Member
    Why

3. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    It's call unit options to adjust it how each individual person wants it.

I run my SI faster than a lot of people would - and there are times I turn it way down.

If I was to STOP, then my DI & SI would no longer show anything I may find useful for me.

THAT'S WHY.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

4. Member
    So are u saying I have the option to set it the way I'm asking?
    Or is it that i have to adjust the chart speed every time I move?

5. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    It's an adjustment to be made by the individual user.

I read "other" guys complain they can't change the scroll speed on "another brand" of unit - so these are more flexible for many peoples needs in that respect.

They do work pretty well with out of the box defaults, but I use many adjustments a lot of people either will never touch, or don't learn their machines enough to know those kind of options exist.

A smart man once said 90% of the fisherman will NEVER utilize more than 10% of the unit's capabilities.

If you spent the money on a powerful unit ~ you should take the time to learn it, use it and master it ... is what I'd recommend.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

6. Member
    There's two questions in the post above the post you just made. Could you please answer one of them. That's all I'm asking

There is no auto setting for the Chart Speed.

Yes if you want a different sonar screen scroll speed between 1 and 10, you have to change it--max is 10. There is no speed setting for 70mph and never will be with any brand.

The Chart View will move as fast as you can go.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Thank you

9. Banned
    most other brands have an auto setting which matches boat speed. it works well for the scanning unit, but not for the unit on on the bow. When i'm up front I have my scroll speed set to 10. That's what you want for vertical fishing. If I used auto and it matched boat speed it would set it to 1. What I would like to see is a separate scroll speed for 2d and si/di. that way I could have my 2d set to 10 on the bow and si/di set to 1 when I want to use those on the bow. Currently I have to change scroll speed every time I want to go from 2d to scanning. My console unit would always be set to auto

10. Member
    I am with Robert on this and against the old and I consider false wisdom of matching chart speed to boat speed. I set chart speed on 10 even when I am trolling at 1 mph. 10 is about right for SI but is still way too slow for DI. In SI the fish images are proportional with Chart speed on 10. DI on 10 still gives images which are just too short, so fish look like peaked triangles.

Having said that, chart speed should also increase automatically as boat speed increases

Unit a Solix 12
    Last edited by StrikeBack; 10-16-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10