Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I would suggest doing one of two things at this point. Either going with what you have while saving $$'s to buy what you want, or if what you have seems to small, go with a larger Fortrex or Maxxum series trolling motor. At this time, with guys buying the Ultrex's, there is some good deals on these other trolling motors and it/they would serve you well until you get the money together to get what you want. At this point, I wouldn't settle for something cause others say it's what you "need".
    If I can help, give me a call.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I would suggest doing one of two things at this point. Either going with what you have while saving $$'s to buy what you want, or if what you have seems to small, go with a larger Fortrex or Maxxum series trolling motor. At this time, with guys buying the Ultrex's, there is some good deals on these other trolling motors and it/they would serve you well until you get the money together to get what you want. At this point, I wouldn't settle for something cause others say it's what you "need".
    If I can help, give me a call.
    John
    So running with the one I have right now is gonna be the current option....im already learning about the "bust out another thousand" saying. Havent hit a thousand yet, but im already a couple hundred in with new trailer tires and straps....hadnt even planned on that! Tires looked a lot more aged in my driveway 250 miles away from the owners! lol....he had it sitting for years! Just glad I made it home safe! hahah

NOW......i have another NOOB issue. If I do a self install like planned...How do you run the trolling motor wires from the bow to the back of the boat where the batteries are?!!? Ive been youtubing and found nothing....most DIY and install videos were just replacing an old unit with a newer one. I have an old motorguide right now....so its gonna be a total switch. I think im gonna have to hire someone...unless I can get some good insight from you all like I hope! lol

Thanks

3. Member
    You MAY be able to splice new heavier wires to the existing wires for the Motor Guide and GENTLY pull them thru the hull. Sometimes they are an easy pull if you REALLY take your time!! I would also suggest attaching a light rope to the pull for any future wires you need to pull thru the hull; electronics etc.

John

4. Member
    It will improve your catch because you can focus on fishing not driving the boat. Its costly but is definitely worth the money. When you need to work on a line or catch a fish just push the spot lock and you will be right there when you get ready to fish again, also there are some nice features as follow the contour will definitely keep you where you want to fish, not trying to drive the TM.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jspell View Post
    It will improve your catch because you can focus on fishing not driving the boat. Its costly but is definitely worth the money. When you need to work on a line or catch a fish just push the spot lock and you will be right there when you get ready to fish again, also there are some nice features as follow the contour will definitely keep you where you want to fish, not trying to drive the TM.
    Cool...ive decided im just gonna bite the bullet. not getting an ultrex...but im getting something with iPilot. Just waiting till the christmas sales start. Gonna do it because if I get an edge or maxxum to save a few hundred....ill regret it within the year since I know Ill want to upgrade. Plus I dont wanna hassle selling a used trolling motor...plus reinstalling another TM.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    You MAY be able to splice new heavier wires to the existing wires for the Motor Guide and GENTLY pull them thru the hull. Sometimes they are an easy pull if you REALLY take your time!! I would also suggest attaching a light rope to the pull for any future wires you need to pull thru the hull; electronics etc.

John
    any links or videos you may have? I cant find any answers to this and i have been looking!

So it does look like I will have to figure something out to get the cable from the front to the back...the trolling motor is the 2004 stock model and a 12 volt. I really have no idea, but I have a feeling that cable wont work since im getting a 24v for sure and I know that things gonna need 2 batteries due to the extra power.

Anyone have any experience going from a motorguide 12v to a minnkota 24v? how do I get the wires to the back? this damn lack of foresight is killing me! lol

7. Member
    I have a 2003 tracker and pulled mine without any issues. It came with a motorguide and I switched it with a 24v terrova. What part of Texas you in

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    I have a 2003 tracker and pulled mine without any issues. It came with a motorguide and I switched it with a 24v terrova. What part of Texas you in
    El Paso

How did you pull it from the bow to the back of the boat? Toilet snake?! lol......I seriously thought about that hahahah

9. Member
    I used a fiber glass fish tape. I had to pull off the side panel on starboard side next to driver seat. Then it takes a route different than the other cables to where it goes up and over the gas tank. Unfortunately I had graph interference cause the cables were too close to the trolling motor power cables. SOOOOOO I pulled it all back out and ran it up under the floor from the back by the bilge pump area to the front. I removed the floor drain cover and fished it to there. Then I had to drill holes in one of the storage compartments so I could get access to the bow. All in all wasn't too bad but now I am interference free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12