2017 sho 250 oil level

My oil level is about 1 1/2 past the top hole on the dipstick, what do I need to do. Have about 13 hours on the motor

2. Member
    Do you know where it was at the very first time the motor started up? 1 1/2" is not that bad especially when some get 4-6" over. No need to change out right now, try to make it to 20hrs first, then change out. Just focus on seating those rings the next time or 2 out.

3. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Was that warm? Right after shutting it off? That could be what's supposed to be in the filter. Other than that Trim it down and give it hell.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

4. Member
    So long runs at higher rpm to get it good and heated

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    So long runs at higher rpm to get it good and heated
    Wide open as long and fast as you can go
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

6. Member
    First. Change the oil. Then go run it long and hard. More than once, like every time you start it up idle for a minute and get on it and run around 3500 until it's completely warm and hammer down for as long as you can (atleast 15 minites). That's how I did mine and it stopped it

7. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    My oil level is about 1 1/2 past the top hole on the dipstick, what do I need to do. Have about 13 hours on the motor
    Mine was about that height at 6 hrs. I changed the oil myself but not the filter. No reason. That's just what I did.

I have always been diligent about warming the engine and run at 3-4000 rpm before WOT. I didn't baby it after 2 hrs. Ran it hard varying speed according to breakin instructions with as little idling as possible. it quit making oil shortly after I changed it at 6hrs and the dipstick stayed just under the top dot until 20 - 25 hrs when I had it serviced by Yamaha.
    After 10 hrs I made lots of long runs at 35-4500 rpm varying rpm with occasional WOT and Lots of idling and slow speed after 15hrs with no problem making oil.

It's fine and I don't feel the need for concern about it anymore. I only have about 35 hrs on the engine now. Made May 2016.

I have run ring free and startron from the beginning. Hope it helps. Just my experience.
    Last edited by ZO6; 10-14-2017 at 03:35 PM.

8. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    when making those 15 to 20 minute hard runs try to run it at least 6000 rpms if you are propped for it, that will get the temp up to 140 degrees, anything less she will run cool and the ring dont want to seat
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

9. Member
    During your wot runs get wound up to 6k hold it there for a few min and just let up off it real quick then throttle back and get right back in it. Had a yammi tech tell me to try that and mine seated within 40 hrs instead of 100 like you hear story's of where guys have went through 5 oil changes
    2015 X19 200 SHO

10. Member
    Engine load/temp seats the rings. As long as you are not plowing water at full throttle and 4500rpms over fueling [cyls running to cool from excessive fuel]. If/when I purchase one I will under prop it and run it loaded at 6k without trimming it up for the most load and not too excessive speed. After break in then it will be propped correctly. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    When is the optimal time to check it? Considering what was said above regarding what would be in the filter? Does that matter? Or if it’s been sitting a while?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    When is the optimal time to check it? Considering what was said above regarding what would be in the filter? Does that matter? Or if it’s been sitting a while?
    When mine was new I checked every couple of hours. So I would go for a weekend and check it when I got home. BUT, at the early hours I went to the lake knowing I wanted to put atleast 5 hours on a weekend and maybe more. So that meant longer runs and getting the heat up.

13. Member
    Tilt motor up for 5 to 10 min then trim it back down to get a correct reading

14. Member
    Mine was making oil, changed it at 50 hrs. I filled to about 1/3 between the two holes. Now approaching 100 hrs but it’s been sadly sitting a about a month. I checked and it’s about an 1” or 1.5” above the second hole. But the oil is still very clean with little fuel smell whereas prior it was black with very heavy fuel smell. Not sure what to think