Who's at fault ?

last week there was a collision on Hernando. It happened in a narrow canal called alligator alley.1 boat was on plane and probably towards the center of the canal to see around the twists and turns. He came upon a guy that was anchored in a jon boat and hit the jon boat.Supposedly the 1st boat said the jon boat was on the wrong side of the canal fishing ( ? ).Now I know the 1st guy and he is a moron that thinks he owns the lake. He flies through the canal because once he comes off plane it's too hard to get back to full speedI've personally witnessed too many of his antics and find it hard to believe it wasn't his fault. The guy in the jon jumped out of the boat on collision.Who's wrong ?Supposedly the guy in the jon shouldn't have been anchored where he was- according to moron.

2. Member
    The collision should have been reported to the Fish and Wildlife Dept.. They will determine who was at fault and determine the charges. It doesn't matter what the two individuals say. The LEO will determine which one can claim the right of way.

3. Member
    I fish Hernando from time to time and always take caution going thru all the canals. I barely stay on plane, sometimes I idle. I know the idiot you are talking about not personally but have encountered him on the chain. Yes he flies around, he only knows 1 speed. This collision does not surprise me at all. In fact I am surprised it hasn't happened sooner out there. These canals are way too narrow for no speed limits. The guy that was anchored in the canal either hasn't been out there much or doesn't understand those are wake zones with no speed limit. I say they are both at fault, along with the county. That's my opinion though. Technically speaking if your bout would make those blind turns in that canal you could go wide open without breaking the law. Look I hate no wake zones, so a 30mph speed limit in those canals would be fine with me. That's my 2 cents.

Simple.......your driving your car in and you hit a parked car......who's at fault?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Simple.......your driving your car in and you hit a parked car......who's at fault?
    That's what Im thinking. (don't have any actual clue) but it seems like the "law" would be the boat that is anchored has the right of way?

Maritime law is tricky, not supposed to anchor in a navigable channel, and craft are supposed to use due care while navigating. Could go both ways.
    Last edited by BOATS; 10-14-2017 at 05:30 AM.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

the owner of boat 1 lives a few blocka away, so I'll let y'all know the outcome. On another note the spray boat was in Lake Todd the other day on the left from the canal that comes from Hernando.

There is no question who is at fault. He really is a moron if he thinks he has a case

9. Banned
    Even the Navy hits another ship once in a while.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    Even the Navy hits another ship once in a while.
    LMAO

11. Member
    This is from FWC website: interference with navigation

• Except in the event of an emergency, it is unlawful for any person to anchor or operate a vessel in a manner that will unreasonably interfere with the navigation of other vessels.

Jon boat guy will get a new bright yellow free boat....LOL

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

i would let the fwc make that determination. but i believe that the moving boat failed to use due care. and if boat one hit boat two, blame should be placed on boat one wether it was 20 mph or 80 mph. i believe all moving/power boats are to give way of non powered/sail boats or anchored boats. boat one will get a ticket for the hit and boat two will get cited for anchoring in an area not allowed. i could be wrong.
    Last edited by cwilt; 10-16-2017 at 05:47 PM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

14. Work hard fish harder SwampNinja's Avatar
    So one guy ran around a blind corner and wasn't able to avoid colliding with a non moving boat (use common sense and slow your ass way down if not come off plane). And the non moving boat was anchored just beyond a blind corner that is not a no wake canal .....I believe we have two morons here..
    Last edited by SwampNinja; 10-16-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    Stratos 294 evo Etec 200 HO
    HydrillaGear.com IguanaGraphics.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampNinja View Post
    So one guy ran around a blind corner and wasn't able to avoid colliding with a non moving boat (use common sense and slow your ass way down if not come off plane). And the non moving boat was anchored just beyond a blind corner that is not a no wake canal .....I believe we have two morons here..
    Thats the way I see it too. Then again i dont know the one moron so I dont have a bias!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    If the car was purposely parked in the middle of the road on a blind curve, I believe there is shared fault.
    Noland

"Slower than a speeding Bullet, but faster than a Cookie Cutter."