Trim Bleeding Down

2007 175 Proxs
    1B529142

Was out today and didnt notice an issue until i got the boat on the trailer. Motor trims up and down fine, but will not stay up. It slowly falls. No signs of oil leaking. Any ideas? Really not wanting to replace the whole unit if not necessary.

2. Member
    Mine does the same thing and it's a trim piston valve I was told by my mechanic they are kinda costly to replace so I just deal with it lol

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the manual relief valve (Stb side, used to MANUALLY tilt). It should be SNUG.

If that doesn't resolve, remove and inspect the valve for any damaged or missing o-rings (3). Make sure the tip of the valve isn't broken off, also.

Other possibilities... but the above is a good starting point.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Mine did that a while back and all it ended up being air in the system. A simple bleed and then fill fixed the issues.

5. Banned
    Mine is doing the same thing. Tried bleeding but no luck. Im curious to know if the pump has to be removed to replace the o-rings on the manual relief valve. I notice it has a washer on it to prevent removal. Is it possible to replace the o-rings without removing the pump? Will fluid be lost by removing that screw?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can service the manual relief screw (or even replace it) without removing the trim system. The E-Clip MUST be removed from the screw first.

Fluid WILL be lost (perhaps a considerable amount).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You can service the manual relief screw (or even replace it) without removing the trim system. The E-Clip MUST be removed from the screw first.

Fluid WILL be lost (perhaps a considerable amount).
    I removed the manual release screw and all 3 o-rings are intact and appear fine. I did confirm that it leaks down on both the tilt ram and trim rams (motor will drop off the tilt ram within an hour and will continue to drop to full in position within 12 hrs or so). Anything else recommended before taking in for service? Dealer wants to replace entire unit and not even bother trying to fix.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before I replaced the unit- I would try two things:

-Replacement Manual Relief Screw

-PORT side TRIM ram (replace).

9. Member
    A pitted check ball in the Pump's valve body's low pressure side will also cause this.....as will a little trash keeping it from sealing.
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe