Thread: Carpet Question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgstroud1960 View Post
    Jim, the carpet on the Phoenix is ok. I came out of 3 Bass Cats into a 920. You will find that most of the components in the Phoenix will be equal to or better than Bass Cat uses. The carpet is not. FWIW, my 920 loads easier on the trailer than my Cat did.
    good to hear! Bit nervous leaving a grst company like BCB but i know the 920 will make me happy if the deal goes through

2. Member
    maybe I don't fish as much as you guys, but my carpet still looks near new on a 42 month old boat
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I sent a note to Phoenix over the weekend asking them about the carpet. I asked if they are going to upgrade it or if they will offer an upgraded version as an option. This is what they sent me:

Thank you for your interest in the Phoenix line. In regards to the carpet, we use to use a higher ounce carpet and had issues with it matting down over the course of a fishing year.. We have found that by going to a slightly lighter ounce carpet that it wears a lot better over the long run. It honestly didn't make sense to us either as one would think that the higher grade carpet the better but it is simply not the case over the long run for fishing out of it.. Please feel free to call me if you have any additional questions in regards to this.. I have copied the area sales rep in on this reply so he can get oyu in touch with your local dealer so they can assist you with any questions you may have in relation to pricing..

Sincerely,

Jeff Hartung
    Director of Sales
    Phoenix Boats
    PH: 931-967-7210
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoix#1 View Post
    I got a brand new 721 and I can tell you the carpet is disappointing at best compared to other brands. I am a little shocked to be honest. Mines really not cut the best either and pieces together inside the rod boxes. I expected a lot better to be honest
    My 618 is the same way, I was pretty surprised to see shoddy carpet seams in the rod boxes, like they just threw it in and called it good, my only complaint so far.
    2016 Phoenix 618 Mercury 175 ProXS

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSkeeter77 View Post
    I sent a note to Phoenix over the weekend asking them about the carpet. I asked if they are going to upgrade it or if they will offer an upgraded version as an option. This is what they sent me:

Thank you for your interest in the Phoenix line. In regards to the carpet, we use to use a higher ounce carpet and had issues with it matting down over the course of a fishing year.. We have found that by going to a slightly lighter ounce carpet that it wears a lot better over the long run. It honestly didn't make sense to us either as one would think that the higher grade carpet the better but it is simply not the case over the long run for fishing out of it.. Please feel free to call me if you have any additional questions in regards to this.. I have copied the area sales rep in on this reply so he can get oyu in touch with your local dealer so they can assist you with any questions you may have in relation to pricing..

Sincerely,

Jeff Hartung
    Director of Sales
    Phoenix Boats
    PH: 931-967-7210
    Interesting, I read this more as a cost savings deal by Phoenix especially reading the complaints on carpet from boat owners. How can “lighter ounce carpet” wear better??

6. Member
    I wonder what the heavier stiff they used was? I don't think it was 24. I could see 20 laying down after a year of use but the high grade 24 won't if you keep it clean. Mine isn't horrible or anything but 24 would just be "better" IMO.

7. Member
    What I was told by the rep. Phoenix uses a carpet with a virgin fibre. Meaning it is not made from recycled plastic bottles. They use a shorter pyle than they did originally because the taller pyle mats down after six months of use, and looks like worn shag. Stitches per square inch is the measure of good carpet, not the taller the pyle. If you go to a taller pyle carpet you will have difficulty getting your lids open.

8. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    What I was told by the rep. Phoenix uses a carpet with a virgin fibre. Meaning it is not made from recycled plastic bottles. They use a shorter pyle than they did originally because the taller pyle mats down after six months of use, and looks like worn shag. Stitches per square inch is the measure of good carpet, not the taller the pyle. If you go to a taller pyle carpet you will have difficulty getting your lids open.
    I actually think you explain it the best. I see the point base on your description. The up till then I was with Puma Jim, it just made no sense.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

9. Member
    I was unaware of the grade of carpet differences between Phoenix and some of the other brands, but I did notice some worn spots on some late model Phoenix boats while boat shopping. Not all of them had worn spots, though. Not sure if maybe some guys wear more abrasive shoes, or something like that. I bet Phoenix goes to higher grade carpet soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12