Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

What to do with Bassboat that hasn't run in 2 years ??

I helped my buddy pump some gas out with fuel hose but still have 20+ gallons left in tank(Ranger 1998 with Johnson 150). The sipon hose would not go all the way down the tank(useless). Can we take seat out (could not figure how to get seats up ) ? We might attempt to use a inline fuel pump to suck more gas out with use of the engine fuel hose. What else should we do so he doesn't mess up the engine and boat runs good when he starts it in the Spring ??

Take the engine connector off of the fuel line and pump the primer bulb, it should siphon all the fuel out.

Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    I helped my buddy pump some gas out with fuel hose but still have 20+ gallons left in tank(Ranger 1998 with Johnson 150). The sipon hose would not go all the way down the tank(useless). Can we take seat out (could not figure how to get seats up ) ? We might attempt to use a inline fuel pump to suck more gas out with use of the engine fuel hose. What else should we do so he doesn't mess up the engine and boat runs good when he starts it in the Spring ??
    im guessing the fuel was not stabilized?

Quote Originally Posted by EagleUSMCRet View Post
    im guessing the fuel was not stabilized?
    Stabilizer does nothing for 2yr old fuel. Its bad guaranteed. You cant add anything to take something away in reality anyway.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

5. Banned
    It was stabilied and then last year threw some Blue ethonal stabilzer in it. He just want to make sure there is no engine damage>doesn't want to take a chance..

6. Banned
    If he isn't going to start it till next spring wait till when he wants to start it to mess with it. You pump it out and replace with fresh gas just to let it set?

Anyway when you do remove it just pull the fuel line off the front of the motor and use the primer bulb to pump it out. Once he puts fresh gas in it take it to the lake pull the kill switch and crank it for a few seconds. That will clear out any old fuel in the motor and get fresh fuel up. Hook the kill switch up and enjoy.

7. Member
    I have run NON ethanol fuel that was that old without issue but have bought a cheap electric fuel pump, put it on the fuel hose and pumped out ethanol fuel that old. Put it a bit at a time in my truck. Kept it in a 5 gal container and dumped the last bit instead of using it.

8. Member
    Apparently you can't get to the fuel tank gauge sender.

9. Member
    Here's what I'd do. I'd fill the tank up with gas. Start it up and go fishing.

If it runs, that's why you have it. If not, then you can screw around with it later.

10. Member
    Disconnect hose at the engine and let the old gas drain into some containers. Once you get it flowing it should all siphon out. I wouldn't risk the engine on less than a hundred bucks worth of old gas. If it hasn't run in a couple years I'd also spray some oil in those cylinders and turn it over before I tried to start it if he didn't fog the engine before it was put up. Letting one sit like that can present all kinds of issues. If the fuel had any ethanol in it expect to rebuild the carbs as well.

Fair chance that the fuel in the carbs and fuel filter will have separated, evaporated, and left varnish like residue. While it may crank, anticipate performance issues. If it won't idle, or won't open up your going to require carb rebuilding. No fuel cleaners can correct it at that point.

12. Member
    if its a carb motor on the front bottom of the carbs is a brass plug,pull each one out and drain the carbs it will look like oil in them

13. Member
    Lots of good ideas. If it was me, you know what I'd do.

I've been running old worn out motors since most of these guys were born.

If it starts and runs, good. If not, you only wasted a little time.

When my dad died, I found his old motor at least 5 years after. Put gas in the tank. Went fishing.

Why wait til spring? Weather's nice now. If it don't run, you have all winter to screw with it.

Once you've drained the tank, install NEW ethanol resistant fuel hose from the tank to a fuel/water separator then new hose- bulb-hose on to the
    engine. I would be inclined to replace every piece of rubber hose under the cowling. Definitely would remove plugs and spray in cylinder lube and rotate the engine and do a compression check, if all even or close then install new plugs. I would start out with 18 gal of Non-ethanol 87 octane gas adding one half can of Seafoam. Pump your fuel bulb til tight and keep it tight. I wouldn't fill the whole tank. Put it on the garden hose and muffs and trial crank it with a hot battery, it may take several attempts to pop if all's good. When start is achieved, shut it down. At least it runs. Now you need to replace the water pump impeller and lower unit gear oil before you run it any more. At this point I'd disconnect the oil tank and empty it and fill half full with premium synthetic marine 2cycle oil. Once you've done this you can do your tuning, replacing of thermostats and things of that nature.

15. Member
    Oh for cripe sake! Stabilized fuel and two years? Top it off with fresh and go.

Remember a motor with one carb with one jet stopped up will run on 5cyl while the 6th is starving for oil. Fuel is how a 2 stroke gets its oil.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

17. Banned
    Thanks to all those who reponded(help me) with my question.

18. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=750593

The above is an extreme case but still shows what old gas does sitting in a fuel system for a long time.
    Hi Mike.

19. Member
    ^^^^^^

I think that's an example of liner deterioration, not old gas.

20. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Due to my vision issues and health of partner's mom, I have been unable to take my boat out on the river for 5 years. I take it to my Merc Mechanic, ( Lee Sanderson!!!) every spring. It is ready to go whenever I am!!! We did drain fuel, but I have always used Quick Kleen and Startron in my fuel!!! She is ready to go!