Thread: Stratos quality

Stratos quality

Can any of you experts out there tell me how a Stratos 2004- thru now now compares to Ranger, Legend,Skeeter and other top end bass boats.
    Appreciate any information.
    Jeff

2. Member
    I wouldn't consider any of those boats "top end". But Stratos made a good solid boat, like most other manufacturers. They aren't the best and they aren't the worst.

3. Member
    then what brands would you call "top end"

4. Member
    IMO, there is only 1 top end boat and that is Allison. I think it is superior than all others in just about every way. YMMV.

For the record, I really do like my Stratos. They are very good fishing machines. I don't look at them as being better or worse than most other boats though. Most of them will get the job done well.

5. Banned
    By 2004 after they were acquired by genmar stratos was far from top end anymore

6. Member
    The 2004 and newer stratos boats were quality built boats but not the “top of the line” the only difference between them and a ranger, Triton, etc is the bells and whistles. To me the top of the line boats as far as quality, features, etc. are none of the cookie cutters but rather an Allison or Sterling/Gambler. My brother in law just bought a 2006 294 that literally looks like it has been in a showroom for the last 11 years. So they will stand the rest of time if taken care of. However, I did own a 2000 21 ss extreme and think the quality of 1999-2003 stratos boats were not as good as the 2004 and newer ones. Hope this helps!

7. Member
    I sold a 98 javelin 409 DC and bought a 14 stratos 294. Worst mistake of my life lol. Wind screens use same crappy mounts as in 98, dash materials are all the same vinyl thin skinned junk similar to 98, factory carpet glue smeared on finished gel coat, lid hinges and gas shocks are same crap. 169 hrs on original motor and replacing loads of tedious screws plastic pieces and non skid pads. If you're going to fish and do a little travling buy a different rig. If you are going for a garage queen nothing wrong with them. Would have cost me about 10k more to go to the basscat PII. Wish I would have done it :(

8. Member
    I still think Ranger has a good solid boat. Had plenty of them.
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

9. Member
    Love the stable ride, large casting deck and overall fishability of my VLO...that said, a few years later with some tourney fishing have begun to notice the same little things as mentioned above...skid pad and carpet edge coming unglued, shock quality on lids, and have replaced several screws on things...but for the price I gotta think fairly hard to beat!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

All brands in that Genmar stable have been shrinking in quality and none more so than Triton. Over the past few years the quality of plastic has gotten thinner while the Nitro trim has improved. Anyone else seeing this trend? Stratos OAL quality is reasonable in comparison to what’s coming out of Genmar today but the hull glass is thicker than back in the 90’s.