Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ruger american known issues

I figured I'd post a bit of knowledge on the ruger American in 300blk to save someone a potential headache of their own.

I bought mine last year to use for deer season and when I went to sight it in, it kept having light primer strikes.

I also bought a muzzle loader (CVA optima) around the same time for deer hunting so I wasn't too bummed out about the ruger at the time and kind of put the issue on the back burner since I traveled alot for work, and spent the time home deer hunting.

Ended up doing some research on the issue and it's a well documented that ruger American rifles in 300blk (and probably in 5.56) will not fire with most ammo manufactures. The issue is that most manufactures use primers in the 300blk ammo that's meant for free floating firing pins like the AR platform, and not for bolt rifles.

I contacted ruger, they told me what I read online and basically said "the rifle may not work with most ammunition manufactures".
    I sent the rifle off and they changed out the firing pin, test fired it 20 times, and sent it back.

Went back to the range today and this is the results

Hornady ammo fired 50% of the time
    Remington ammo fired 80% of the time
    Winchester silver tip ammo fired 100% of the time
    ADI-MSR fired 100% of the time

I think hornady is the gold-standard of ammo, so I am pretty irritated it still won't fire, and that ruger put a product out that they admit probably won't work with most ammo.

The good news is that the trigger pull is amazing, and I was putting three rounds on top of eachother at 100yds.
    Since it shot silvertips just fine, I'm going to try using it for thanksgiving weekend at the farm, but if You're going to buy one just to target shoot, you might want to look in to the Remington AAC bolt rifle in 300blk instead.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

2. Member
    It could be because of excessive headspace too. A bolt gun should have energy to spare for striking a primer. They are probably the best action for hitting primers. I am not saying that what you are saying is untrue. I know nothing about that cartridge or that rifle but I would have a hard time believing it personally.

Bought my 8yr. old son a Ruger American Rancher in 300blk for his birthday and then started hearing about the issues of misfiring. Friend at work bought his son one and had the same problem with it not firing and is waiting on Ruger to ship it back. Haven't shot my sons yet so I'm a little nervous that it might not fire when he goes for his first deer this year. Do know of two guys that have one and theirs has fired flawlessly so crossing my fingers with my sons gun.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    It could be because of excessive headspace too. A bolt gun should have energy to spare for striking a primer. They are probably the best action for hitting primers. I am not saying that what you are saying is untrue. I know nothing about that cartridge or that rifle but I would have a hard time believing it personally.
    I'm right there with you. Had it not happened to me, I wouldn't of believed it either. The fact brands are firing 100% and others are not leads me to believe it really is just a primer issue.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRO View Post
    Bought my 8yr. old son a Ruger American Rancher in 300blk for his birthday and then started hearing about the issues of misfiring. Friend at work bought his son one and had the same problem with it not firing and is waiting on Ruger to ship it back. Haven't shot my sons yet so I'm a little nervous that it might not fire when he goes for his first deer this year. Do know of two guys that have one and theirs has fired flawlessly so crossing my fingers with my sons gun.
    Go with those Winchester xp rounds. The general consensus I've seen online is that those are 100% reliable and hornady is hit or miss. I shot a box of the Winchester and didn't have a single issue.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

Will give them a try. Bought a box of the Hornadys with the rifle so I'll try them first and report my results.

7. Member
    I have no 1st hand knowledge of the Hornady ammo, but remembered reading a thread a few months ago on the subject on the Campfire. Here it is, if you are interested. There are a couple of things to try mentioned in the thread if you haven't already done them...especially with a new rifle. Good luck with it!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...e#Post11898150

8. Member
    I have the ruger American in 270 and has fired every brand but I just buy what is cheap then re-use the brass for reloads

Sighted my sons gun in today using Hornady Custom 110gr. V-MAX bullets. Had one misfire due to light hit on the primer. Put that shell back in and it fired second time. Ended up shooting the whole box and that was the only misfire. Going to pick up some Winchester this afternoon and try them.

Talked to my buddy who has the same gun and he is still waiting for Ruger to send it back to him but he said Winchester fired every time in his gun. I'm a little disappointed with my results but if it will shoot Winchester every time I might leave it be unless the factory can fix the issue.

Is this only a 300 blackout issue? My 308 preditor has been fine.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    Is this only a 300 blackout issue? My 308 preditor has been fine.
    From what I gave read, it's the .300blk only. I would assume possibly the 5.56 as well, but not sure
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

I’d send it back again. Make them resolve the problem, or refund your $.

I only shoot handloads through mine. CCI primers. No issues so far with regular loads or subsonic loads.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.

14. Member
    could have a gunsmith put in a 16# firing pin spring. Had that done to all my deer rifles due to 20 below zero temps. I hunted in northern Wisconsin for 50 years , never a misfire due to cold.

15. Banned
    not to derail the thread, but I've never heard of primers specifically meant for free floating firing pins. They're either large or small rifle, in magnum or not. I've been reloading for a long time and never came across primers for free floating pins.

There's either too much headspace or not strong enough striker spring.

16. Member
    Cci makes primer specifically for military arms. At least for their rifle primers. The difference in design to warrant the change is the free floating firing pin.

17. Member

18. Banned
    Forgot about the #41's. I never use them or consider them since I load with stick powders in my semi rifles. #450's have never failed me or caused an issue with slam fire. Over gassed, dirty firing pin channel or headspace issues mostly cause slam fires.

I can't see Hornady or Remington using #41's in their loads. I'd be interested to know which model rounds were not firing.

This is what my friend said Rugers and Hornadys email reply was to him. He has sent his gun back twice for this issue. The 300blk is an AR round and has a harder primer than non AR calibers and could cause the light primer hit. So basically all factory 300blk ammo has the harder primer so it can be fired in an AR platform.

Others I've talked to handload their rounds and don't have this issue using standard rifle primers. I shot 20 rounds of Winchester and no misfires, only one misfire out of 20 using Hornady ammo. Gonna try to find someone to work me up a hand load and get away from factory ammo.

20. Member
    I still have a hard time believing that a bolt gun cannot smack even a hard primer hard enough to not cause this problem. Usually the firing pin springs are super stout in a bolt action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast