Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Painted my boat.

I’d thought about this for a long time and finally pulled the trigger. My 22 y/I Champion was covered in cracks on the top cap. I was not interested in re-gel coating so I decided to use a roll on bed liner to “paint” my boat. I stayed away from products with ground up tires in them; opting for an “orange peel” finish. Here’s a couple of pictures.

2. Member
    Well that didn't work. Evidently there is a trick to posting pictures. Sorry about that.

3. Banned
    I'm interested in doing this to a stratos I'm redoing Please send pics and what brand product u used please my number is 256-335-3730.

5. Member
    No idea how to get the pics to load. I’ve emailed and texted pics to guys who say they can load them, so I’m waiting too. Fishing a tournament this weekend so I’ll work on it again Monday. Sorry.

6. Member
    Am interested too looking forward to seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by bumbleebee200 View Post
    I'm interested in doing this to a stratos I'm redoing Please send pics and what brand product u used please my number is 256-335-3730.

Try uploading pics using this site, then copy to your post.
    http://postimages.org/?_sm_au_=iVV1DWr61T5W6JT6

9. Member

10. Member

use tiny pics

12. Member
    Last edited by BRADVAN; 10-16-2017 at 10:06 AM.

13. Member
    Maybe I have figured out how to post pictures?

14. Member

Nice work! It looks really good from the pictures. Just curious, was there any crazing or other cracks in the gel coat before you did this? I was thinking about maybe doing this myself in a couple places on my boat but didn't know if the bed liner material would hide the crazing, or if the crazing would just show through.

16. Member
    The top cap was covered in cracks, most much worse than the ones you can see in the second pic in the second post. I wish I had taken before and after pics. I will take a close up pic of an area I know had some of the worse cracks; so far I dot see any of the cracks under the bed liner.

I researched a lot. I did not want a product that had ground up rubber in it. I did want color options. I wanted a roll on product as I didn’t have access to a compressor. The product I settled on was http://www.monstaliner.com/.

17. Member
    This actually looks much better than I ever would of pictured in my mind

good work, as with anything like this I’m sure the prep work is most important and most time consuming

18. Member
    That actually looks really nice! Good job!

19. Member
    Absolutely! The kit comes with a scuff pad which I used, but I also lightly sanded before the scuff pad. I sanded once and scuffed twice. I spent a lot of time in the really tight corners, like where the fiberglass meets the rub rail etc. I washed it before I started and after each time I scuffed it to remove all oils, wax, grease silicon etc.

There is no way you can mask off too much area, lol. In the pic of the splash well you can see where the roller touched the fabric sleeve that covers most of my cables. I also got a tiny amount on the carpet where the masking tape evidently did not overlap good enough. The shifter area was tough too. I spent a lot of time planning where I would start and where I would end; the painting sequence.

My wife was a great help. She was in the boat and did those areas so I would not have to lean over into the boat.

The kit has most of everything you need. I would buy an extra roller or two, the "dabbing" sponge was useful, get more rubber gloves.

20. Member
    I wasn't sure if the new numbers (from Iguana Grafix) would stick to the bed liner so I masked off an area you can see in first pic second post. After the bed liner had cured for a few days I then applied an exterior rated vinyl, Oracal 651, to the fiberglass. The new numbers were then applied to the vinyl. In the bottom right corner of pic one in post one you can see the applied Oracal 651. You can also see it in pic two post one, it's just not a close up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast