Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nice work... it does look really nice considering it's a roll on product with texture (tricky to get even texture, no doubt).
    The gel coat purists will probably chastise the method, but it looks like a great, durable alternative for tired out gel coat. Plus it will likely take a beating too, eh?

2. Member
    I will be the first to admit I love the sparkle and shine of new, and well kept, bass boats. My boat is 22 years old and has had a rough life and I needed to do something. I did not price the cost of re-gel coating the top cap, I just figured it would be out of reach financially. Wet sanding and buffing was didn't seem plausible due to the extensive cracking. My total cost for the bed liner and all the extras was less than $250. That does not include the vinyl and numbers.

Looks great!

Monstaliner is great stuff. I completely restored my trailer and used Monstaliner.

4. Member
    Some pics of areas I know had big cracks in the gel coat. Pic one is the top cap area right at the front of the back deck. Pic two shows the vinyl laid over the fiberglass withe the numbers laid over the vinyl. It is of the same area as in the second second pic in the second group of pics. Pic three is the top cap where it curves up to the console. Also shows the bad oxidation. I plan to paint the rest of the unpainted areas next year, probably in a gray? The fourth pic shows the passenger side of the splash well, the metal strip is the cover on the top of the transom. The back corner of the transom had a big stress crack in it, the front of the splash well had a crack all along it, neither can be seen now.

Since applying the bed liner I have trailered the boat approximately 500 miles and fished three days. One of those days was pretty rough, we got a little air a couple of times. So far no cracks are showing through.

Last edited by BRADVAN; 10-17-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Glad you figured out your pics I made another post for ya.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

6. Member
    nice job! the cost of re-gelling a boat is pretty high, at least for a blue collar budget like mine,LOL! you obviously spent a good amount of time on your prep and approach to this project and it shows! ill be putting together a "mule" hull for breaking-in motors in the near future,this gives me a really good option for making it look good for a reasonable amount of time and money!

7. Member
    The top cap on my 1996 Champion is nice and smooth on the top of the right side gunnel but on the left side horizontal cracks all of the sudden showed up one day all the way down. Is this the way yours was?

8. Member
    Like I said I wish I had taken before and after pics. The pic below is right in front of the front boat cleat on the port/passenger side. Those types of cracks were all over the top cap of my boat; most were wider and deeper. Generally they would start about an inch or two above the rub rail and roll across the top cap and end about an inch or two from the carpet. Corners would be the worse.

I keep commin back to this thread....this is a cool/different idea !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    Thanks for the complement. Now bear with me as I kind of steal my own thread. Do any of the new boats come out with a matte/textured finish? I'm thinking of like the recent trend in football helmets. I think some boats would look cool with different combinations of not only shiney color and sparkle, but also matte or flat color and or texture.

11. Fishing is a Passion
    The roll on product looks fantastic. Would the spray look any better ??. As stated the prep and sanding would be the most important either way.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

Since ima hot rod guy I like the flat colors....I’m gonna buy another cowl and paint it hot rod/flat black and ghost in all the Merc lettering.
    Last edited by crank68; 01-23-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    Prep is always the key. I have owned two trucks with spray in bed liners and also saw an aluminum duck boat that was done with spray bed liner. I think the texture when sprayed is better, if...... One would need access to the proper compressor, hoses, paint gun, etc. I did not have access to that type equipment. When Spraying one would also have to consider the air-borne over spray.

14. Member
    deleted
    Current: 2014 Sportsman Masters 207/150 Yamaha
    9 previous Rangers

15. Member
    Looks really nice. How much weight do you think you added to your rig? I need a cheap solution for my project.

16. Member
    I'm guessing I added about 20-25 pounds (probably wrong see edited below). I ordered a gallon plus one quart, mixed it all, but actually used about a gallon. I was actually pretty close calculating the square footage of the area I wanted to cover, but bought an extra quart just to be safe. I probably measured 6-7 times.

So I looked back at some of the paperwork that came with the Monstaliner, and a base gallon looks like it weighs about 10 pounds. So I'm re-guessing I added 10 pounds to the boat. Sorry about that, I was thinking about the weight of the entire package/kit when it arrived.
    Last edited by BRADVAN; 10-29-2017 at 06:33 AM.

17. Member
    Do you think this would be a good alternative to carpet in the bottom of the boat or is it to slippery?

18. Member
    I thought about using it instead of carpet, but then went ahead and re-carpeted my front and rear decks. I've not yet re-carpeted the bottom of the boat, but probably will since I already have the carpet. This bed liner is not soft and rubbery. The best way to explain it is it reminds me of my kitchen linoleum. In the rain I think it would be slippery; which might be okay in the bottom of the boat. I would not want it on the decks instead of carpet, at least in a bass boat. I think it would be more useful in a duck boat or catfish boat where the ability to hose it down would be helpful.

19. Member
    Ive been throwing around this idea and actually talked to raptor liner about marine installation and they said it would work just as well as any application. I also talked to them about doing the underside to as i was afraid it may hurt the speed of the boat. My boats slow enough already. They said it will either stay the same or i will gain a LITTLE due to the dimpling affect. Im not sold on that per say but i plan on doing it this summer

Wow, looks better then I thought it would!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast