Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

93sv fell off the boat

Was fishing a dogfight, and another boat during blast off lost his 93sv. He hit a boat wave and saw the unit fly into the water. How does a unit fall off like that? Im not familiar with these units, how do they attached to the bracket?

2. Member
    My guess would be that it was not locked into the cradle completely. That is the only time I have ever seen one come out...

3. Member
    Right. Mine fits tight. Been in some really rough situations. No problems.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    Mine popped out earlier this year as I pulled the boat/trailer up the ramp. Gravel ramp, chug hole. It fell into the boat instead of out. Can only imagine that I did not have it locked in that one time. Usually snaps in hog-tight.

I have a hard time getting mine to come off most of the time. If the MFD is snapped in correctly I don’t see how it could possibly come out on is own.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    I've not done it and don't think I need to but a safety tie can be added. Look at the installation manual about the trim caps that cover mounting holes for in-dash mounting. A safety tie could be connected to that hole to make sure it doesn't stray too far away.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Mine popped out of the mount once in rough water. Luckily it landed in the boat.
    I'm sure it was stuck on there tight.. I always listen for the tab to click into place and give it a good wiggle.
    I will be making some sort of safety strap as a precaution.
    Ranger RT188 (2015)
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 115, 4" Setback Plate
    Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 iPilot 70lb
    Garmin 73SV @ Helm, 93SV Chirp @ Bow

8. Member
    Actually happened to me a couple of times with my 73sv when I hit some wake. Fortunately it's landed in my lap every time.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

9. Member
    Had mine pop off the front, hit the windshield and fly 100 yds behind me. Cussing the stupid design and how am I going to replace it, while I turned around in a hurry to see if I could see it as it sank, there it was floating. Let it dry out and never missed a beat. I now click it in with vigor.

10. Member
    Good to know they float. Good Idea maybe to put a nice bright blob of something on it so you can locate it easier when It's floating in the water.
    07 STRATOS 176XT

11. Member
    In each corner, under the trim, is a hole like this. All kinds of possibilities from simple to fancy using a variety of keys or snaps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    My 93SV flew off at the Chickahominy the other day. I was running down the main river from the ramp going about 30 mph and hit a wake and it flew off. I watched it splash in 40ft of water and my heart sank thinking it was gone. I stopped and turned around and my son saw it floating! Scooped it up and put it back on the mount, it fired up and I kept going! I didn't have it snapped into the base all the way. They float face down so painting the back of it wouldn't be a bad idea.

13. Member
    Don't think a xsv would float.

14. Member
    With all the cables plugged into my xsv, no chance of it falling anywhere.

15. Member
    Mine flew off in the river heading to Kissimmee too. My heart sank. Luckily for me my buddy saw it floating too. I make sure it is fully locked in from now on.

16. Member
    LW. ...best to use tag with eye or pin all the way through to back of unit? Will trim cover fit back on?

17. Member
    Keep in mind, I'm not speaking from experience. I didn't actually do it; just saw the possibility. Been switching units around some so there's a convenience factor involved. Right now running 2 7610s but getting ready to pull one off and put the new echomap Plus 93sv back on. Figured I would drill a hole through the cover or just leave the cover off. I do like this Plus 93sv. Really nice unit. Having those four instant goto buttons on the right is super convenient. For me touch screen is better than buttons and knobs but a programmable button is better than that. Wish my 7610s had some. Need one for screenshots too. One touch - bang. Nothing like making things fun. Sometimes they forget. That's why we go fishing - to have fun. Panoptix is fun. Screenshots are a downright pain.

18. Member
    Why can’t they all use the same system as Lowrance best cable hook up ,heaviest duty case I’ve got too Garmin’s they are a joke how you have to take the unit off every night. How long till the cradle wears out they should have at least come up with some way to lock them in the cradle

19. Member
    I've had my 93 knocked off when a wave came over the bow. Luckily, it landed in the cockpit beside me. I always make sure they're locked in. I've noticed cradle of my UHD unit covers more of the back of the MFD, possibly to reduce the surface pressure for a wave to knock it off. I've also noticed that if you push on my Chirp MFD hard enough, the cradle will give a little.

20. Member
    Hour drive from the house to a local ramp, sick feeling when i saw the graph not in the cradle. Thank god it slid into the bottom of the boat by the drivers seat. I make sure it's snapped in now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast