Thread: Gun Safe

Question Gun Safe

Looking to buy a gun/rifle safe. I want secure storage as my gun cabinet was ok for display but
    I need a fire resistant and water proof safe. Looking for one for around 16 guns W/ adjustable shelves.
    I did my homework'with google and read many reviews on many manufactures. Some good
    and some bad. What do you guys have and how do you like it? Pros & Cons.
    Thanks for your input

2. Member

USA

Get one that has more room than you need (you will use it) And I would get a manual dial lock, not an electronic lock ( unless you can get both ). The reason is, that if there an EMP ( electro magnetic pulse ) that will fry all your electronics you could not get to your guns.
    Or if the battery goes dead. And bolt it to the floor ( unless you are not worried about theft ). If they can tip it over on its side, they can get into it with long pry bars. And make sure the floor can take the weight ( pounds/square inch ) if not on concrete in the basement. And finally don't put it in the garage unless it is heated and you have a drier in the safe.

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks ..... Good points to consider for sure. It is going in my bedroom in the basement on a concrete floor. I dont think they could tip it over. YES, I dont want electronic locks I am looking at a dial & key locks. I also with put Dry packs in it just to be safe. I went looking at more today. I sure like the Liberty 18. In my price range but will look more before I make up my mind.
    I appreciate the good advice...

4. Member
    Definitely get one with more room that you need.

They advertise gun safe capacity as if it's filled with small .22 rifles. If you decide to get one under 400lbs, bolt it to the floor. My brother has a cheap one made of basically sheet metal, and the thrives actually took his whole dang safe. (It probably weighed like 120lbs max with his 6 guns and the safe)
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Many gun safes that claim fire protection are mostly bogus, and waterproof claims are even worse. There has to be a vent for safety, and that will eventually leak, especially in the absence of a fire.

That's not to say that some fire protection isn't worth while, but don't expect it to save your guns in the event of a serious fire. Safety and security should be your primary concerns with the other stuff well behind.

One thing you absolutely don't want to do is to store anything flammable inside the safe. That includes ammo. Many rounds will cook off below 300F and wood burns in excess of 1000F, so you can have shrapnel bouncing around inside your safe chewing up your guns in a relatively minor fire.

I personally keep my guns in two safes (a big one and a ready access one), and most all of my ammo, magazines and bolts in another locked container. This makes it much safer to leave my big safe open while I'm around and accessing it because the ammo and bolts are secured elsewhere as a second layer of safety.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Yes more is definitely better. I want to keep my hand guns in it to...except for what I carry day to day. Thanks for the reply. IT helps.

Good idea for storing ammo seperate. I know what you mean about "FIRE AND WATER" resistant. I know they would not survive in a major
    fire or a flood. But it is better with a rating I believe...or is that not true ???

7. Member
    I just purchased the liberty fatboy 64, they are bringing it to the house tomorrow. I am putting it in my garage and having it bolted to the floor. This safe is almost 900 lbs. and the guy bringing it said him and one other guy could take it by moving it on pvc pipe and be gone in less than 10 min. if it's not bolted down. Thieves rather steal the safe and work on opening it somewhere else.

8. Member
    I have a fortress safe... I wouldn’t go back with another one. Hands down a superior safe will be my next one.

Another vote to go for bigger than 16 gun. At least 24 if not more. I can’t speak to brands but I have read that keypad locks fail at a high rate. Almost a when not if. They do appear convenient but I went with a dial lock instead.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks guys.... narrowed it down to a 24 gun safe. Some nice features on the ones I am looking at. Most come with electronic keypad and the
    one I like best so far has a KEY bypass. It is on sale right now too. I'll dig into it before I "PULL THE TRIGGER"
    Thanks for Yall's help Much appreciated.

11. Member
    I would recommend going with Liberty, get one bigger than you think you need, not as much room in them as you think and you will want to ad to it in the future. Stay away from the cheaper safes sold at Sam`s and Costco they are Chinese made and real junk. There are some real good videos on u-tube with some great advice on what to look for when you are looking for a safe.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    Looking to buy a gun/rifle safe. I want secure storage as my gun cabinet was ok for display but
    I need a fire resistant and water proof safe. Looking for one for around 16 guns W/ adjustable shelves.
    I did my homework'with google and read many reviews on many manufactures. Some good
    and some bad. What do you guys have and how do you like it? Pros & Cons.
    Thanks for your input
    Anything Fort Knox your welcome ..

What’s your budget?
    I’ve got a Drake, couldn’t be happier.

14. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks for your input.... I ordered this one: http://www.stack-on.com/product/armorguard-24-gun-safe/
    Got it on sale with free shipping. It will do what I wanted and I can store personal items in it too.

15. Member
    I looked at safes last week at Tractor Supply. Cannon makes a few models exclusively for them. They have a 40 gun model for $699. Might wait until they are on sale and go get one.

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Check out Superior/ Champion safes also.