Question RANGER 198P BOAT COVER

Has anyone had the silver finish coming off the boat cover right in front of the engine due to flapping in the wind because it has too much loose material in that area? My 198 is less than one month old,took first trip to KY. lake (400 miles one way ) to find silver finish coming off! Showed it to my dealer and was informed that Ranger knows that there is a problem and that it will fixed. Had 2 leaks in boat, one at the live well exit hole on transom , little caulk took care of the. other leak was the drain plug was not fully tight due to aluminum shavings in threads. Anyone else having trouble with their covers finish coming off?

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Other than the cover issue, how did she do on KY Lake? I know that lake can get ugly real quick...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Member
    One of the complaints I had with my dealer when I picked up my 198 was that there were aluminum shavings thru out the boat and in the battery compartment. I removed several loose screws and wiring clamps that were loose in the battery compartment. The dealer also wired my trolling motor batteries wrong, set up for 12 volt not 24. I thought something was wrong with my trolling motor until I checked the wiring. All of these issues are dealer related and not Ranger's fault.

4. Member
    Boat handled great, waves were only about 1 to 2 footers. Boat likes lots of trim to pickup front to ride on pad. Its ride is night & day over the rt-188 that I used to have!

5. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    One of the complaints I had with my dealer when I picked up my 198 was that there were aluminum shavings thru out the boat and in the battery compartment. I removed several loose screws and wiring clamps that were loose in the battery compartment. The dealer also wired my trolling motor batteries wrong, set up for 12 volt not 24. I thought something was wrong with my trolling motor until I checked the wiring. All of these issues are dealer related and not Ranger's fault.
    Same here with the Aluminum shavings. I had a bunch that kept showing up under the console, which I believe were residual, trapped up there. Once i stuck the nozzle of the shop vac up under the console, in the harness' and stuff, problem resolved. Batt compartment appears SAT, but I better check 'er out. I had another good one, my TM was actually configured backwards i.e. toe down was left instead of right which F'd me up all day long. Fortunately it was just a pre-tourny fish day. I called the Dealer and they felt horrible and told me what to do to correct, that along w/ a google search took me ~ 1 hour, but I took my time... All SAT now!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman42 View Post
    Has anyone had the silver finish coming off the boat cover right in front of the engine due to flapping in the wind because it has too much loose material in that area? My 198 is less than one month old,took first trip to KY. lake (400 miles one way ) to find silver finish coming off! Showed it to my dealer and was informed that Ranger knows that there is a problem and that it will fixed. Had 2 leaks in boat, one at the live well exit hole on transom , little caulk took care of the. other leak was the drain plug was not fully tight due to aluminum shavings in threads. Anyone else having trouble with their covers finish coming off?
    I don't use my cover for travel but after 4 years of using my cover on the boat when it is on the lift I have quite a bit of wear with the silver finish coming off at various wear points.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    My cover is the same way. Nice little white patch dead center on the seam at the very back. It started flaking on mine on the drive home from the dealer,lol. I figure I will give ranger a call over the winter to see about replacing the cover.

8. Member
    Rt188 cover here...silver flaking off

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Just checked the cover on my RT198p and there's a bit of flaking on the back near the motor as well. The only time the cover has been on was for a 3 hour drive that started out in the rain. The quality of this cover is nowhere near the quality of the cover I got with my glass Ranger. I'd classify the cover for the 198 as more of a dust/storage cover, not a travel cover.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax