Do you guys hook graphs straight to battery or power switch

I've always done mine straight to my battery but may hook these to my power switch. I know there are some voltage lost through power switch so I was curious as yo what everyone here does. Thanks

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    ALWAYS to the battery - if I need a switch, I put on near the unit.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    I don't use a switch since I remove the units from the boat or I will disconnect the power.

Quote Originally Posted by moodyjeremy View Post
    I've always done mine straight to my battery but may hook these to my power switch. I know there are some voltage lost through power switch so I was curious as yo what everyone here does. Thanks
    If "these" are imaging units, do not use the boat's wiring harness.

Extend the unit power cords directly to the battery or install a dedicated fuse panel for them and connect the power cords to it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I always remove my units from the boat .... and don't have an 5 port Ethernet switch ... So I don't use a switch .... just a fuse close to the battery.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

6. Banned

I knew you would lose volts wiring through power switch but since I was only gonna run 2 graphs I thought I might could get away with it. It's just way easier too. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    where's your + post cover?? few years ago GADNR/CG was doing boat inspections at ramp before launching, for safety insp & sticker give outs.. Mine was there but slid up on cable not on posts. As just forgot to slide them back down. and those egg heads didn't give me a pass & sticker..

9. Banned

10. Member
    Everything should be run through a switch except the auto bilge. A high quality Blue Sea or BEP switch will not noticeably drop voltage if you use the correct size wire running to it. Switches are not just to kill power for storage. They are for an emergency on the boat also. Also, if you use the correct one, you can jump from a TM battery without stupid jumper cables.

Also, In an ideal world, the switch should be accessible without going into the battery compartment. The Blue Sea switches like in Troy's post are mountable through a panel fro an extremely sleek look. In a bass boat you could mount it on the bulkhead below the seats with the wiring all behind the panel. We've all seen Scott Martin's Fire video. The first thing that should be done when you have a fire is to cut power to everything. That's tough to do it the switch is a foot from the battery. Most electrical fires are from shorts away from the battery so this will kill power in the vast majority of instances and a lot of times, put out the fire.

That switch looks like this mounted in a bulkhead. They also have black versions for a cleaner look but this would be acceptable in any boat.

2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

11. Member
    I put a fuse box just like the one troyboy because I did not want to go through the power switch or the panel. So I ran 10g to the fuse box and then 10g to the units. I mounted the fuse box under the console. So my Console Solix, the power cable was just able to run straight to the fuse box. the network hub is there as well so just ran it straight to the fuse box. but I ran 10g from the fuse box to my bow Solix. Now the 360 since it is not used all the time, I did hook it into existing wires at the bow. All runs great.
    2020 BassChamps Central Lake Belton 1st - Feb 2
    2019 Media Bass Individual Champion - Richland Chambers Sep 7-8
    2019 CAST Champions - Sam Rayburn Oct 19-20
    2011 BassChamps East Region Champions-Sam Rayburn Oct 1-2

2020 Bullet 21XRS 2020 Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke
    Texas Realtor
    Helping Texans buy and Sell their Homes