Thread: Laurel Bed Lake

Laurel Bed Lake

Anybody fish it? Thinking of heading down there next month just trying to figure out if its worth the trip.

Never heard of it, where is this lake?

Way south of Roanoke near Chilhowe:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....307246&page=74
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Have some friends that fish it and have a ball. The has some giant smallmouth due to their main source of food being trout. Just be prepared as the road heading to the lake isn't much.

5. Member
    Thanks, that is my biggest concern is the road

DGIF gets a 20' shock boat up and down the switchbacks. If I had 4wd and a boat smaller than about 18', I wouldn't worry about it.
    Wishing I was Fishing

7. Member
    The road in is 7 miles up the mountain, fished up there a lot with my 20 foot Skeeter but I would have about 1" of clearance on each side on the bridges. This lake sits about 4000 feet in elevation. Don't tow a boat up there in winter. The lake freezes in winter, June thru August is best time to fish for Smallies. There aren't a lot of smallies in there but there are some big ones. A sunny day in mid summer is best time, expect temps about 30 degrees lower than the surrounding area .
    Ranger 2023 Z520R Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke

8. Member
    Thanks for the info....I'll be in the area for 2 1/2 days or so...if the fishing sucks the first day I may just venture down a little further and check out Holsten for a day.

Quote Originally Posted by bass5aday View Post
    The road in is 7 miles up the mountain, fished up there a lot with my 20 foot Skeeter but I would have about 1" of clearance on each side on the bridges. This lake sits about 4000 feet in elevation. Don't tow a boat up there in winter. The lake freezes in winter, June thru August is best time to fish for Smallies. There aren't a lot of smallies in there but there are some big ones. A sunny day in mid summer is best time, expect temps about 30 degrees lower than the surrounding area .
    Have heard of smallies up to 6 1/2 lbs. They feed on the brook trout that are stocked into the lake.
    Wishing I was Fishing