Thread: Fall jig color

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Dogfish_Jones
    How many use the jigs with rattles made onto them?

2. Banned
    I use them, but when the rattle falls off I don't bother worrying about it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    With Jig fishing I would say it really depends how they’re keying on the bait. Are you getting them on reaction bites on the fall? Or finessing them on the bottom?

If you have to work the bait to get them to bite I think color is a big deal because it means they’re taking the time to look at it, then react. But honestly, if it’s just a straight reflex reaction strike with no additional action imparted by the angler color is rarely a factor in my opinion.

My suggestion, if you’re having trouble getting bit on traditional Black/Blue or Green Pumpkin, put in the time and root up craws so you can match the hatch if you think color is a factor. There’s hundreds of species of craws out there are there not? So there’s potentially a wide array of colors you could choose. Don’t rule out forage like perch or gills as well especially if you swim your jigs.

But honestly, the only thing I’d look at adding is a little orange in the fall. For some reason that small change gets me more bites when GP isn’t working. Started doing that when I caught one a few years ago and he was coughing up orange pincers.
    Black or GP most of the year but they seem to like brown with a little orange in the fall.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by d'Wayne View Post
    I like to add a little orange to my fall jigs, either a few strands of skirt or at least the tips of the trailer.
    I do also. I get Paul from ACT Lures to add orange to my fall jig pattern

5. Banned
    I remember one fall a few years back, saw several laying on rocks in shallow water....brown with purple claws

6. Member
    I'm a blasphememer in the eyes of bbc members. I do not own a black and blue or gp jig. Everything I have is either brown and orange or pb&j and the trailer is always orange.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwschamp View Post
    Who's Greg Swidell?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12