Ordering a new boat with a 250ProXS

Settling on options and was told by the dealer that I needed to add a NMEA2000 gateway to my motor so it could "talk" to my Lowrance unit(s). I am having two Merc Monitors in dash and was led to understand that the motor thru them could communicate with the locators, but only with the gateway. Is this correct that I need the gateway? If so what am I gaining for all electronics to communicate with each other? Gateway isn't cheap and as I'm spending ■tons■ Of money if not really needed I'll skip it. I can always spend the money on jigs.
    I got nothin

Well if I had read the "frequently asked questions" sticky at the top of the page I wouldn't have asked the question. Appears that it is necessary to have gateway after all. Or am I miss reading it?
    I got nothin

3. Member
    You got it!

4. Banned
    You can get the merc monitor and not use the graphs.

5. Member
    A Mercmonitor IS a gateway device, and yes, a gateway device IS required. There are several Smartcraft devices that can function as a gateway device, but only one Mercmonitor. Can't imagine why anyone would have two Mercmonitors unless they twin engines. Might confirm with your dealer exactly what Smartcraft devices they are recommending, Smartcraft tachometer and speedometer maybe?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

I am betting that the dealer is installing the Smartcraft taxh and speedo. They are not a gateway so if you want info on your Lowrance units, you need the gateway. It is not an economical way though. The best way is a Level 1 Mercmonitor. It has a NEMA2000 network plug. DO NOT get the Level 0 (Basic) Mercmonitor. It does not have this capability. Heck the Level 1 Mercmonitor is about the only gauge you need for the motor, besides trim and fuel levels and you really don’t need those either.

If it is too late to change, you really do not need the gateway. Any info you can put on your graphs can be seen on the Smartcraft tach and Speedo.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Smartcraft tachometer and speedometer maybe?
    This, as I understand it. However I am told one of them is level 2. I'm really interested in seeing, RPM's, temperature and water pressure. Hopefully temp and pressure on separate gauges. I can always scroll thru the gauge to see fuel used.
    I got nothin

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I installed a MercMonitor (Level 1) on my dash and with the setup i can see all 3 (R's, temp., and wp).....also have it linked to my Lowrance units but i find myself looking at the MM more than the graph for the readings.....my thinking is why have the Smartcraft tach and speed when we always overlay the GPS speed on our graphs and can see R's on the MM....or have those options on your graph with MM connected to the N2K network.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    This, as I understand it. However I am told one of them is level 2. I'm really interested in seeing, RPM's, temperature and water pressure. Hopefully temp and pressure on separate gauges. I can always scroll thru the gauge to see fuel used.
    Get a Mercmonitor, has everything you need in one device plus the gateway function.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn View Post
    No such thing as a "Level-2" in those instruments.

If you end up with the System Tach and Speed Kit (what you're expecting), there are several options to bring the data onto NMEA-2000. If you're running Lowrance graphs, the Vessel View Link is an EXCELLENT option.

See Rhonda's Post (pinned at the top of the forum)- if you send her an email, she can provide you with a list of options, and special BBC member pricing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Scraps
    I would think you're gonna have or need a NMEA network for your electronics anyway. I added the VesselView after the fact. Should have ordered with it and HDS electronics when I ordered. So get it.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD